In The News: The Indian Hills Community Sign

13 Sep 2018 14:54 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
It'll make you laugh or it'll make you groan, but either way Vince's newest message will always be something to talk about! Indian Hills Community Sign Facebook Page

A Small Colorado Town's Punny Signs Are Receiving National Attention
BY Emily Petsko
September 11, 2018

Indian Hills, Colorado—population 1280—has become an unlikely tourist attraction thanks to one resident’s penchant for puns.

As spotted by My Modern Met, the town’s community center changes its roadside sign two or three times a week, and the messages will make you laugh or cringe—or maybe a little of both. “Terrible summer for Humpty Dumpty but he had a great fall,” one sign read. “I was struck by a bottle of of Omega 3 pills. Luckily, my wounds were only super fish oil,” read another.

Photo provided by Vince Rozmiarek

The mastermind behind these signs is Vince Rozmiarek, a volunteer at the community center and pun-maker extraordinaire. “I've been copied on lots of photos of people posing with the sign,” Rozmiarek tells Mental Floss. “It kind of put us on the map.”

Meet the man behind the viral, punny community sign in Indian Hills
By Stephanie Butzer, Denver Channel
12:33 PM, Sep 13, 2018

The first one to go viral online read, “Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right,” he said. He had no idea it would reach as many people as it did.

“People have adopted it for their own causes all over the world,” he said.

But that’s not his favorite. He said he’s most proud of his creation from July 2, 2017: “Cows have hooves because they lactose.”

Rozmiarek said he spends a lot of time researching new, fresh ideas. "Also, I'm a dad, so it comes naturally," he said.

Controversy involving the Indian Hills Community Sign
April 15, 2016

It all started so innocently, with Vince's usual humor putting up a message that said "Turning vegan would be a big missed steak."

Someone In Colorado Is Putting The Funniest Signs Ever, And The Puns Are Priceless (25+ Pics)
By​ Giedrė, Bored Panda

Indian Hills Community in Colorado sure do enjoy a good laugh with their ever-changing and ever-punny signs. Vince Rozmiarek, a Colorado native and the man behind all the funny jokes explained that it all began when he started volunteering at the community center. "5 years ago, on Aprils fools day, I put up a sign that really stirred up the area. We have a heavy police presence in the town of Morrison, which is next to Indian Hills, and they run a ton of speed traps. The sign said "Indian Hills annexed by Morrison, slow down". Many people believed that prank, and the amount of attention it brought was really surprising" Vince told Bored Panda. From then on, he decided to put puns and jokes up a couple of times a week.

Canyon Courier: A little levity in Indian Hills
Sandy Barnes
Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Photo by Sandy Barnes
Indian Hills resident Vince Rozmiarek stands beside the sign at the Indian Hills Community Center with his latest weekly inscription.

You never know what message the sign at the Indian Hills Community Center might offer. But one thing is certain: It draws the attention of motorists on Parmalee Gulch Road.

Some of the weekly slogans are funny; others are thought-provoking riddles. And a few have created quite a stir.

“I try to keep something up there that will make people smile,” says Indian Hills resident Vince Rozmiarek, who places the weekly messages on the sign. “I’ve adopted it. It’s really fun.”

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: smithcourtneym

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Sep 2018 11:46 #2 by Mountain-News-Events
Video interview done last Friday by 9News and aired last night after the Emmy Awards of Vince Rozmiarek, the man in charge of the Indian Hills Community Sign, with bonus footage inside Mac Nation Cafe. Enjoy!

The story behind that punny sign in Indian Hills
What started as an April Fool's Prank has turned into a community favorite for those passing through Indian Hills.
Author: Bobbi Sheldon
Published: 2:47 PM MDT May 31, 2018
Updated: 9:44 PM MDT September 17, 2018

Indian Hills — If you’ve driven through Indian Hills over the past few years, chances are you’ve noticed a sign on the side of the road with humorous, oftentimes punny phrases.

It’s the brainchild of Vince Rozmiarek, a local resident who decided to take it upon himself to switch up the status quo while working as a volunteer for the Indian Hills Community Center nearly 6 years ago.

The signs became so popular in the community, Rozmiarek eventually decided to make a Facebook page with the help of Micahlynn Kaza.

The Facebook page has fans from 45 different countries - and in places as far reaching as New Zealand, Rozmiarek said.

And while coming up with fresh ideas isn’t always easy, it appears to be a challenge Rozmiarek is willing to take on.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

18 Sep 2018 11:51 - 18 Sep 2018 11:51 #3 by Mountain-News-Events
Indian Hills Community Center GoFundMe

Indian Hills Community Center has needed a paved parking lot for years. Our community center has been trying for a very long time to get a parking lot that doesn't need strategic navigation when it rains or snows! Our local sign quipster has been trying to raise enough money to get the parking lot paved for many years but, due to community center maintenance, upkeep, operating expenses and unanticipated costs, we have not yet met that goal. Please help our wonderful community shine like the sign that brings smiles and laughter to our worldwide following! We hope our sign brings you many more snickers and giggles for years to come.
Thank you for your support!!

Attachments:

10 Nov 2018 16:47 #4 by Mountain-News-Events
Wrecklunds play Indian Hills Community Center Benefit at Blackbird Cafe

Please come out and support our local Indian Hills Community Center with live music by the Wrecklunds!
Where: Blackbird Cafe and Tavern, 25940 CO-74, Evergreen, Colorado 80439
When: Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 8 PM – 10:30 PM MST

Attachments:

13 Oct 2019 23:43 #5 by Mountain-News-Events
‘King of dad jokes': Colorado father takes over community sign with puns, goes viral
By Austin Williams, FOX 35 Orlando | Published October 1, 2019

INDIAN HILLS, Colo. - The small town of Indian Hill Colorado may only have a humble population of just over 1,000, but hundreds of thousands of people are flocking to the Facebook page for the town community center’s message board that has now made Indian Hill one of the largest exporters of “dad jokes,” thanks to local pun-sation Vince Rozmiarek.

Rozmiarek told The Post that the neighboring town of Morrison has a heavy police presence where a ton of speeding tickets are issued, much to the dismay of the local residents. So, on April Fools’ Day in 2013, he decided to take matters into his own hands.

“People hate those speed traps, so on the sign I put, 'Indian Hills annexed by Morrison.' I pranked everyone in town and got a call from the Morrison Police Department an hour later.“

Why this man has become internationally beloved for his dad jokes on a roadside sign
By Cathy Free, Washington Post | August 27, 2019

Vince Rozmiarek, who lives in the tiny Colorado town of Indian Hills, has achieved what generations of fathers have striven for: He has become internationally beloved for his dad jokes.

Here’s his favorite — “Cows have hooves because they lactose.”

It’s okay to roll your eyes.

Rozmiarek, 56, started his public life of puns six years ago when he began volunteering for his town’s community center and took over managing the center’s roadside message board sign that stands along the one highway in town.

He had no idea his jokes would go global.

At the time this story was posted, the Indian Hills Community Sign Facebook Page had 84,000 Likes. By October, when the FOX Orlando story was published, it had over 100,000 and counting. :) Purchase an Indian Hills Community Sign 2020 Calendar and get a useful momento for the year to come!

05 Oct 2020 19:32 #6 by MountainWelcomeCrew
The Indian Hills Community Sign 2021 Calendar is now on sale! The Indian Hills Community Center is a non-profit that receives no outside funding to keep it maintained, and help the Indian Hills community save their history and put on events. Donations above the price of the calendar are tax-deductible. (You can also pay $100 to have a custom sign message put up for a photo memory!)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: FredHayek

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds