Giving the "Mona Lisa" a Digital Makeover

09 Apr 2020 18:28 #1 by ScienceChic
This was pretty neat! They scanned the painting and digitally "removed" the varnish and re-created what the hues would have been based on the substances that da Vinci used for his colors and rendered them.

Watch the video: Giving the "Mona Lisa" a Digital Makeover
See the “Mona Lisa” as da Vinci once did.
Publish Date: 11/21/19

Over 20 years ago, I was lucky to have an opportunity to go on a trip to Europe with a friend who had an international trip included in his MBA program. One of our stops was Paris and we went to The Louvre. What a treat! Seeing in person all those iconic artworks that we grew up seeing in books was incredible. A half day wasn't nearly enough to see their whole collection, but we made certain to visit the Mona Lisa gallery. If you ever have the chance, I highly recommend it!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Apr 2020 07:41 - 10 Apr 2020 14:25 #2 by homeagain
Altho it was a movie.....the mastery of making colored pigment was fascinating....Johannes Vermeer (Dutch artist) did "Girl with pearl earring".....it was breathtaking ,even tho it was a film
version. Colin Furth portrayed the painter and part of the story line was about his relationship
with servant that could neither read or write, but had an extraordinary eye for color,composition
and art. She helped mix his pigments and later became the subject of the piece of art,,again
this was a movie, so I'm sure they took artistic license with the story....BUT, to watch the laborious
process of producing the EXACT ingredient to bring color to the canvas was cool. The picture hangs inthe Hague.

www.khanacademy.org/humanities/renaissan...ermeer-pearl-earring

11 Apr 2020 07:27 #3 by homeagain
BUMP....because we need something beautiful to contemplate....simply striking in it's ability to pull U into her...."Girl with the pearl earring".....the other Mona Lisa.....:meditate:

28 Apr 2020 12:34 #4 by homeagain

homeagain wrote: Altho it was a movie.....the mastery of making colored pigment was fascinating....Johannes Vermeer (Dutch artist) did "Girl with pearl earring".....it was breathtaking ,even tho it was a film
version. Colin Furth portrayed the painter and part of the story line was about his relationship
with servant that could neither read or write, but had an extraordinary eye for color,composition
and art. She helped mix his pigments and later became the subject of the piece of art,,again
this was a movie, so I'm sure they took artistic license with the story....BUT, to watch the laborious
process of producing the EXACT ingredient to bring color to the canvas was cool. The picture hangs inthe Hague.

www.khanacademy.org/humanities/renaissan...ermeer-pearl-earring

Examining the EXACT techniques and contents of the tints of pigment....a CLOSER view.

apnews.com/4e5a6f3b783b041e91a13c7a5e39713f

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds