Good Yarn Choices

07 Sep 2010 16:23 #1 by Singing in the Rain
I have never understood the different types of yarn and what difference the fiber content makes for each project.
Anyone have any charts or advice? I use the cheap stuff and wonder if my stuff would last longer with a different sort of yarn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Sep 2010 16:41 #2 by RivendaleFarms
Replied by RivendaleFarms on topic Good Yarn Choices
I'm a big fan of using the best yarn I can afford - figure if I'm going to invest the amount of time it takes to make something (especially in the sweater arena) - I want it the very best it can be. Alpaca (my personal favorite, of course), merino wool, silk, bamboo, cashmere - all are considered "luxury" fibers but are well worth it and come in reasonably priced varieties. The type of yarn (relating to fiber content) would depend on what you're making - both in what the project is as well as how the pattern is structured. A sweater knit from 100% alpaca that is knit horizontal (side to side) is wonderful - same exact yarn knit vertically will eventually stretch down to your ankles. (You don't want to know how I know this.)

The only time I use acrylics or acrylic blends are for socks for my mom or some of the novelty yarns for scarves, bags, etc. Otherwise I find it pills up and eventually looks kinda cheesy. For anything else, I like the warmth but breathability of alpaca and good wool, silk and bamboo blends for summer stuff (although I have an alpaca laceweight scarf on the needles that is very summer-y, so yarn weight will impact it as well.)

Warning - once you start with really good yarn you'll never go back. The good new is, if you figure out your actual entertainment cost (yarn cost divided by hours knitting), even cashmere comes out as a pretty cheap date.

If you haven't yet visited The Knit Knook (which is my number one Happy Place, followed closely by Murdoch's), stop in and talk to Diane, the owner. She has a ton of knowledge in that noggin' of hers and is always happy to share what she knows. (Plus you can go around touching all the yarns which is half the fun!)

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

08 Sep 2010 17:26 #3 by wildiris
Replied by wildiris on topic Good Yarn Choices
I totally agree!
Better yarn makes for a much nicer finished product all around!
I also LOVE alpaca and alpaca blends!

30 Sep 2010 07:04 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Good Yarn Choices
Well, I have started on my new blanket. Orchid with some grey. I will post a picture when it is done.

04 Oct 2010 16:24 #5 by RivendaleFarms
How 'bout pics of the blanket in progress? (I haven't been able to knit much lately - ok, not at all - and am suffering major withdrawal symptoms. Figure I can crochet vicariously if you share pictures!)

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

04 Oct 2010 16:57 #6 by CinnamonGirl
Well let me see but it is going to have long strands weaved in it after it is done. It won't look as good but we can see the transformation. When I have time I will get that out. I didn't think purple and grey looked good together but it looks nice.

How is yours going?

04 Oct 2010 17:10 #7 by RivendaleFarms
About 9 projects in progress but haven't picked anything up in at least a couple of weeks. Should be back on track next week after the move.

04 Oct 2010 17:13 #8 by CinnamonGirl
Well I don't have that much time but one of my favorite things to do is crochet while watching football. Got some done yesterday. I wish I could find a pic of what it should look like when done. My scanner won't work with window vista or 7 so I need a new one. I am a big fan of the double strand patterns. The one you saw was one of those but had lot of single crochets and that one did take longer. He got my best one yet though. This one is all easy stitches with a huge p hook. So I will see if I can get a sample hook. Would love to see your work too.

Everyone should have a crocheted or knitted blanket. So soothing.

04 Oct 2010 17:25 #9 by RivendaleFarms
Here are a couple of the In Progress:

11 Oct 2010 07:56 #10 by CinnamonGirl
Rivendale-- I missed this. That is beautiful! I so need you to teach me to knit. Or get over to knit knook or both. Wow, I am very impressed.

What yarn did you use?

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds