Computer recycling, if you really want to work at it.

08 Sep 2010 17:08 #1 by computerhounds
I still get 2 to 3 calls a day trying to unload old computers to my store. Are you really ready to recycle and work a bit at it?
First of all, we do not have a statewide law that forces you to recycle the “e-waste”. Unlike California that adds a $25 charge I believe, to every purchase of a new piece of equipment so you can recycle the old one.
Trash companies generally will refuse e-waste, because it will finish in the landfills. Some like EDS in Evergreen will charge as much as $20 per tower, $25 per large monitor or TV.
If you want “free” recycling, you will need to wait for a “free day” from one a several TV channels in town. Sometimes the big box stores will offer recycling too. Also Jeffco has one day a year, usually the last Saturday of April, where they will accept anything at no charge.
If you do not mind driving down to Denver, Goodwill & other charitable organizations will take electronics waste, reuse or rebuild them & donate those units.
You can also drive to Metech (contracted by our State – [url=http://www.metechrecycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.metechrecycling.com[/url]), north of Denver, I-25 & North 53rd Place. There are a few other companies that will actually do the same thing, take apart units, sort plastics, glass, melt & recover lead from old monitors and precious metals present in all circuit boards.
Systems less than 5 years old can be repaired or reused for spare parts. As long as they have Windows XP and an ethernet port for internet.

As far as phone, I have free recycling bags, where you can mail the phone free of charge (the phone only not the chargers or cords) to “Phone for soldiers” or to “the Mary Kay charitable foundation”.

Old printers, have a zero value, unless they are laser printers that can be used for spare parts. Old or broken inkjet printers are really throwaways, because they are too cheap!

Any question? Give us a call at 303-219-0143 or 303-816-0270.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Sep 2010 18:57 #2 by daisypusher
Would you be so kind as to post those "free" disposal events when you know of them? Thank you.

30 Jan 2011 10:50 #3 by jonascripe
digging up old post's here but theres a chance I would take old computers as much as 10 years old I breath new use into the ones I can. I have done this with many computers in the past. There is a misconception that you cant do anything on a computer if it does not have windows xp or windows 7 thats its no good. I have taken many old systems like that and have people running ubuntu that are very happy with it as a desktop computer. They can also make great "headless" no monitor, keyboard, or mouse pluged in that are connected to your home network for backing up files or sharing files between computers or even online with family and friends in other states. i think its great that i can access all my files no matter where i am.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds