Article on needy women.

16 May 2010 00:19 #11 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Article on needy women.
Yes, I came from overseas, but spent most of my time growing up in the US. Still the core values were very European.

I've a personal experience about such negative messages one takes into life from school. Remember those spelling bees? Spelling was difficult when I was learning the language. I struggled and spelling bees reinforced the idea that I could not spell, period. I always expected to be the first to sit down. Then I got into technical jargon, paleontology, geology and the like. There I needed to spell all kinds of complicated words. Gosh, imagine my surprise and awakening when I realized I could spell all of those without a problem. Today spell check flags my typos and spelling mistakes. I've learned to correct errors, but the damage to my psyche and confidence was done early in school. It is our job as adults to recognize and to dispel such notions regardless of sex. It is not there a bit. It is still there a lot, far too much to suit my taste. I applaud you for railing against such misguided messages and for bringing a confident young lady into society. We need confident people who believe in themselves. Only that way will our world continue to move in a positive direction. It's a slow process but it will prevail.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 May 2010 04:04 #12 by Robynabc
Replied by Robynabc on topic Article on needy women.
Thank you Rocdoc. Now, try to understand why I didn't like that article. I am over it, but I had to point it out.

"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle.
But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best."
. Marilyn Monroe

16 May 2010 06:13 #13 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Article on needy women.

Robynabc wrote: Thank you Rocdoc. Now, try to understand why I didn't like that article. I am over it, but I had to point it out.

By pointing it out it led to some interesting dialogue. Communication or attempts to communicate are vital. Not only between the parties involved, but for those who stand on the periphery and listen in. Through it we all learn and grow. Your posting allowed me to learn something new, a process I so welcome in my life each and every day. Your comments allowed me to think about my own beliefs vs those of others and to see their source. You also provided me with a sensitivity index. So, for that I thank you. I know I'm rather blunt and realize how beneficial it would be to be more tactful. Unfortunately there is a huge chasm between realization and practice :) You are gracious facing winds of bluntness. Perhaps others will see a model here?

I can readily understand your dislike. I doubt, I would like to be pigeon holed into one category or another when I see them all as undesirable.

16 May 2010 09:16 #14 by Robynabc
Replied by Robynabc on topic Article on needy women.
Same here RD. I learned myself. I like to discuss this stuff. I learn alot.

"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle.
But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best."
. Marilyn Monroe

05 Jun 2010 22:05 #15 by cat30
Replied by cat30 on topic Article on needy women.
I was raised in a family with 2 sisters; three women. My father always told us we could accomplish anything we tried; except for football, lol . He was a strong influence on his daughters and grandaughters, they believed they could do anything the boys could. I think young girls need to know this; girls can do anything they want, including math. I agree with Rockdoc, men can be just as needy. And depending on your circumstances in life, we all are more needy at times than others.

"No price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" - Nietzche
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results"- Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds