285 Trivia

31 May 2010 07:47 #1 by Wayne Harrison
285 Trivia was created by Wayne Harrison
I'd like to pick the collective brains of 285bounders...

Can you give me some trivia about the corridor and area that I can incorporate into a trivia app?

Things like "What was the original name of Conifer?" (I think it was Bradford Junction)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jun 2010 03:13 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic 285 Trivia
There are 54 peaks that are at least 14,000 feet (4270 meters) high. These are commonly known as "fourteeners" . Approximately 550 Colorado mountains higher that are 13,123 feet (4000 meters) in elevation.

01 Jun 2010 05:29 #3 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic 285 Trivia
I thought I had read that in "Top of the Pie Crust", and Wayne is correct :thumbsup:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conifer,_Colorado
Conifer was known in the 1860s as Bradford Junction, a stop on the stagecoach road to South Park. A few buildings were erected, including a tavern, rest house, and general store. Bradford Junction deteriorated by the 1890s when the stagecoach road was replaced by the Denver and South Park railroad.

Personal note: The "old" Safeway is said to originally an Indian burial site, and after finding "matates” on some rocks on the hills around Green Valley Area (before it all became private), IMHO, I would think that there was a large community here. Son has also found a craved rock, but we're not sure if it's real or not.
http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/20598462/sn/1609227556/name/n_a

Does everybody know the story of the 2 crosses OUTSIDE "Horn Cemetery"?, and the Reynolds Gang?

01 Jun 2010 06:35 #4 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic 285 Trivia
Good ideas.. I am looking for local trivia that can be answered with one line... for an online trivia app... so stories are out (although feel free to post them here).

TPP, the rock appears distinctly Mayan or from a Central American culture. My guess would be either a tourist trinket that got dropped or left on purpose or it may be real and got misplaced by someone.

01 Jun 2010 08:32 #5 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic 285 Trivia
Wayne, if you are a geocacher or have access to geocaching.com, there are a number of geocaches in the area that have a good bit of local history associated with the cache. For example, there is one called "Phebe" which is a puzzle cache that takes you to several of the old school locations along 285, another recounts the story of the "Hero of the South Platte". There is also a "Spirit Quest" series that focuses on old cemeteries, with a lot of information.

What is geocaching? [url=http://www.geocaching.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.geocaching.com[/url]

01 Jun 2010 08:35 #6 by Wayne Harrison
Thanks. Margaret and I used to geocache in the late 90s... before she got into caving. It's come a long way since then.

01 Jun 2010 16:07 #7 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic 285 Trivia
Have you ever heard of Lover's Leap? A rock a short ways down 126 from 285?

Do you know what intersection is 411?

01 Jun 2010 16:55 #8 by Blondie
Replied by Blondie on topic 285 Trivia
What was the "cave" on the SB side of 285 just west of C470 used for?

01 Jun 2010 17:24 #9 by Wayne Harrison

Blondie wrote: What was the "cave" on the SB side of 285 just west of C470 used for?

I need the answers.. not just the questions. :wink:

01 Jun 2010 17:27 #10 by Blondie
Replied by Blondie on topic 285 Trivia
I thought that you had posted the answer somewhere, wasnt it an arms/ammo storage cave. I dont know the answer so, nevermind.....

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds