Google Dumps Microsoft Windows Company-Wide --

12 Jun 2010 21:24 #11 by pinedust

major bean wrote: Linux is a good tool with which to learn computers, software, and such. Support for the Linux flavors of OS is worse than terrible. Whenever you go to IRC networks to ask for help, you will meet the most insulting, arrogant, conceited, abusive bunch of SOBs that exist on the face of the earth. And they feel that if you are not a minimalist, you are scum.

And talk about beta testing. Every flavor of Linux is a beta. And you cannot update your build.

But it is a good learning tool for students. JMO.

I am one of those insulting, arrogant, conceited, abusing, SOBs that hang out on linux IRC support rooms.
When you make posts like this, what in the hell do you expect?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jun 2010 06:08 #12 by Wayne Harrison

CinnamonGirl wrote: Vista was a disaster.

I am one of those with Vista (Home Premium) and I've actually never had a problem with it and like it way better than XP. Maybe it's because my computer came with Vista and I didn't upgrade an older computer. I also have 3 GB of RAM to run Vista (it's RAM hungry). I think most of problems were people upgrading their OS without enough memory. I've had it for two years and it's very stable.

I am a Apple guy from the 80s (Apple II). I didn't switch to Windows until 2000, when I had to because proprietary programs at work wouldn't run on a Mac.

13 Jun 2010 07:50 #13 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Google Dumps Microsoft Windows Company-Wide --
You know what my biggest issues with Vista was? First the memory it took to run, but really the only reason I HATED Vista, incompatibility with printers, webcams and microphones. The same printer that i could not use on vista is fine on windows 7. A friend of mine had to buy a new printer because of that and I couldn't use my $200 scanner, printer, copier. I also had to buy a new mic.

13 Jun 2010 08:55 #14 by major bean
I will receive a new Hewlett Packard computer tomorrow delivered by Fed Ex. It has Windows 7 OS, 2.8 Ghz processor, 12 Gb RAM, and 750 Gb hard drive. Windows XP was a very good OS on the current PC that I have and I do hope that Windows 7 will be as good.

Microsoft has made it possible for the general public to be able to use a microcomputer. Without their operating systems, we most probably would still have to use command line. During the 70's, 80's, & 90's there was a whole lot of hype about everyone needs a computer, must have a computer, will have a computer. During all of this hype, nothing happened. The computer for the common man did not catch on. It was not until the Microsolt OS's GUI made the computer much more user friendly did the computer catch on. The Windows products were a quantum leap/revolutionary.

Regards,
Major Bean

13 Jun 2010 09:48 #15 by LOL
I have more problems with Flash (Adobe) on this old Compaq XP! What a CPU hog. Fortunately running Firefox w.o. Javascript stops alot of the slowness with Flash heavy web pages. But then most movies dont always play. ^&*%$$#$%

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

13 Jun 2010 12:12 #16 by conifermtman

major bean wrote: Linux is a good tool with which to learn computers, software, and such. Support for the Linux flavors of OS is worse than terrible. Whenever you go to IRC networks to ask for help, you will meet the most insulting, arrogant, conceited, abusive bunch of SOBs that exist on the face of the earth. And they feel that if you are not a minimalist, you are scum.

And talk about beta testing. Every flavor of Linux is a beta. And you cannot update your build.

But it is a good learning tool for students. JMO.

Linux is far from a beta OS. I work for a company that runs a majority of its business on Linux servers. Heck even the French Police use it on over 5,000 desktops. Surely you are smarter than the French :biggrin:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news ... ubuntu.ars

France's Gendarmerie Nationale, the country's national police force, says it has saved millions of dollars by migrating its desktop software infrastructure away from Microsoft Windows and replacing it with the Ubuntu Linux distribution.

Linux really is not that hard and I have upgraded between versions of Linux with little difficulty. Ubuntu is quite easy for newbies to learn. [url=http://www.ubuntu.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.ubuntu.com[/url].

For surfing the web, writing emails and most peoples photography needs it has everything most users need. The only people who probably should not use Linux are IPhone users (no ITunes), Photoshop users and those with high end printers where drivers do not exist. I like Linux because it is stable, fast and virus free.

13 Jun 2010 12:24 #17 by Wayne Harrison

major bean wrote: During the 70's, 80's, & 90's there was a whole lot of hype about everyone needs a computer, must have a computer, will have a computer. During all of this hype, nothing happened. The computer for the common man did not catch on. It was not until the Microsolt OS's GUI made the computer much more user friendly did the computer catch on. The Windows products were a quantum leap/revolutionary.

I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou

You're leaving out a little bit of history there about a company called Apple and how it developed a home computer called the Apple I, then Apple II. I bought mine in '81, four years after it came out.

Windows was DOS based (started with CP/M) and not graphical until it came up with Windows (in '85 finally) to compete with Apple's graphic user interface on Lisa and Macs that was already out.

13 Jun 2010 12:41 #18 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Google Dumps Microsoft Windows Company-Wide --

I like Linux because it is stable, fast and virus free.

curious, what do you mean by virus free. You mean you don't get viruses?

13 Jun 2010 13:01 #19 by conifermtman

CinnamonGirl wrote:

I like Linux because it is stable, fast and virus free.

curious, what do you mean by virus free. You mean you don't get viruses?

Pretty much. It is way harder to get a virus on Linux computer than a Windows computer. Linux is more secure because virus's cannot generally self install unless the owner of the root account has granted such permission. Which is a big no-no in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware

13 Jun 2010 17:16 #20 by major bean

conifermtman wrote: Linux is far from a beta OS. I work for a company that runs a majority of its business on Linux servers. Heck even the French Police use it on over 5,000 desktops. Surely you are smarter than the French

Hrmmm...let's see...900,000 personal computers in the world and 5000 of them are the French police desktops. That would roughly be .005% (please notice where the decimal point is in that percentage). Hardly an overwhelming number. Sounds as if the French police decision might be an eccentricity.

The reason that Linux does not have virus problems presently is because all of the script kiddies are presently hitting the Windows OS. I wonder what OS that the script kiddies have on their laptops and desktops?

I use Linux, Solaris and OpenSolaris (Unix), Mac, and Windows. The flavor of Linux that I prefer is Linux From Scratch (LFS). It it fun to install a system from scratch, modify the kernel, and turn it into any flavor of Linux that I prefer (Debian, KDE, Gnome, etc.). If I am programming I use Unix or Windows. They are extremely useful learning tools, but if I want to use an OS for ease of use, productivity, and not be limited by the lack of applications, then I use Windows. Linux is useful as a bare-bones system and it is an intellectual symbol, if you need that sort of thing.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds