Coast Guard finds missing Colorado fisherman...

13 Nov 2010 22:18 #1 by Travelingirl
I love stories with happy endings! This little nugget can be used in so many of life's challenges:

"Take one minute at a time. You lived through the last minute, so you can make it through the next," Harper said.

So happy they were all rescued. I always tell someone where I plan to hike, even if it's a short hike. Looks like that's what saved these guys. Maybe they'll be featured on "I Shouldn't be Alive" programs.

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=163308

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Nov 2010 10:37 #2 by Grady
Yes they told somebody where they were going, but why the hell didn't they didn't have a marine band VHF raido with them? Portable units can be had for less than it costs for fill the fuel tanks on that boat. When their fuel pump failed a quick call to either the Coast Guard or to one of many boat tow services would have prevented the entire "rescue" effort. A drag chute placed in the water would have kept their bow into the wind and probably prevented the capsizing. :bash :bash

14 Nov 2010 11:02 #3 by Travelingirl
If I go deep-sea fishing I'm inviting YOU!!

14 Nov 2010 12:21 #4 by Hoot Owl

Grady wrote: Yes they told somebody where they were going, but why the hell didn't they didn't have a marine band VHF raido with them? Portable units can be had for less than it costs for fill the fuel tanks on that boat. When their fuel pump failed a quick call to either the Coast Guard or to one of many boat tow services would have prevented the entire "rescue" effort. A drag chute placed in the water would have kept their bow into the wind and probably prevented the capsizing. :bash :bash

Please explain what you mean by a drag chute, I am curious, also which end of the boat do you attach it to? Why would a fishing boat have one on board?

14 Nov 2010 18:19 #5 by Grady
A drag chute is like an underwater parachute. You tie it off the bow it slows the motion of the boat and keeps the bow pointed into the wind. Using 2 lines you can get it to quarter the wind if needed. Fisherman in large waters use them all the time, I’d consider the gulf to be pretty large water. I’ve had one on every boat over 20’ that I’ve owned.
Check the link, this is a pretty fancy one, but that's what I would expect from West Marine.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10528 .

Triva question: How many ropes would you find on the average 30' to 45' diesel powered sea going fishing vessel? :biggrin:

14 Nov 2010 18:47 #6 by Travelingirl

Grady wrote: A drag chute is like an underwater parachute. You tie it off the bow it slows the motion of the boat and keeps the bow pointed into the wind. Using 2 lines you can get it to quarter the wind if needed. Fisherman in large waters use them all the time, I’d consider the gulf to be pretty large water. I’ve had one on every boat over 20’ that I’ve owned.
Check the link, this is a pretty fancy one, but that's what I would expect from West Marine.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10528 .

Triva question: How many ropes would you find on the average 30' to 45' diesel powered sea going fishing vessel? :biggrin:

125 feet of floating retrieving line?? I have no idea!! I just know I love boating and skiing!!

15 Nov 2010 09:06 #7 by Grady
I've done a lot of both, before I moved to Colorado. Back I college I learned to barefoot waterski, and got pretty good at it.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds