Prince William Gives Kate Diana's Old Ring?

16 Nov 2010 15:43 #1 by FredHayek
1) Too cheap to buy her a new one?
2) Good way to curse the relationship since Diana ended up divorced and dead?
3) Wants a wife just like dear old Mom?
:popcorn:

My wife's engagement ring diamond came from her mom and her mother before. But we got it because both women died in their 40's in horrific ways. And as my wife got close to 40, we bought her a new ring and retired our version of the Hope diamond curse.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Nov 2010 16:06 #2 by archer
I think it is a honor to have my husband's mother's engagement ring, she had died before we got married. It's a special connection to someone he loved very much, I imagine it is much the same for Kate.

16 Nov 2010 16:58 #3 by CC
I agree Archer....I think this all a great news and something fun to watch.
They make an adorable couple.

16 Nov 2010 19:02 #4 by pacamom
A royal wedding! I can't wait. I watched Prince Charles and Diana get married, and Fergie and Andrew. I love all the ceremony. I think it is wonderful that Williams gave Kate his mother's ring. It's a beautiful ring for a beautiful woman.

18 Nov 2010 11:20 #5 by 2wlady
so, was the ring new when Diana received it, or was it part of the Crown Jewels? If the latter, I imagine plenty of now dead royals wore the thing.

18 Nov 2010 12:27 #6 by Wayne Harrison
About the Engagement Ring

When Prince Charles proposed, there wasn't an engagement ring yet. What Prince Charles would like Diana to think about is the fact that her role as a wife will always be under media and public scrutiny. Diana needed some encouragement for her new role, so she was given several engagement rings to choose from. Garrard Jewellers created the lovely rings and she chose an oval sapphire of the bluish hue. It was an 18-carat engagement ring with 14 smaller diamonds on the side, forming an elegant and very elaborate setting.

The engagement rings of the celebrities are usually kept in full secrecy. However, Princess Diana's wasn't one of those. Her engagement ring is actually a part of Garrard Jeweller's catalog. That means anybody that has $65,000 during that time could purchase the ring.

Diana's choice of jewelry caused a stir both in the royal family and the concerned public. This is because of the fact that Princess Diana's engagement ring isn't a unique one at all. It wasn't especially crafted for her and it is not even a diamond ring. However, because it was Diana's choice, it became the couple's symbol of commitment to each other.

18 Nov 2010 12:29 #7 by CC
Thx for that little piece of history Pineguy.

18 Nov 2010 15:24 #8 by Grady
another "royal" wedding :dontget:
Who cares and why?

18 Nov 2010 16:15 #9 by ScienceChic
I heard a snippet of an interview with Prince William and his reason for giving Kate his mother's engagement ring was because his mother can't physically be a part of their lives now, this was their way of keeping her "close" in a symbolic fashion. I thought that was sweet. Diana was an idol of mine and I'd hope that Kate would be honored to wear it, or tell him upfront that she was uncomfortable with the symbolism. I love watching the pomp and circumstance of royal ceremonies. Hopefully, this marriage will last.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

19 Nov 2010 00:14 #10 by Wayne Harrison

Grady wrote: another "royal" wedding :dontget:
Who cares and why?

A lot of people care, obviously. I can't speak for anyone else but it's a little bit of fairy tale... like Cinderella.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds