20 Things I Learned About Browsers And The Web

18 Nov 2010 22:26 #1 by conifermtman
Google put this together to demonstrate the power of HTML5 but it is a great for non-technical people who don't understand how browsers work, cookies, security and plugins among other topics.
http://www.20thingsilearned.com/

If you don't have a HTML5 compatible browser, you can download Chrome here: http://www.google.com/chrome

If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or lower your browser is not very HTML5 capable. The leading HTML5 browsers are Google Chrome, Apple's Safari and FireFox.

Uber geeks may want to try out [url=html://www.html5test.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]html://www.html5test.com[/url] to see how HTML5 compatible their browser is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Nov 2010 00:27 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic 20 Things I Learned About Browsers And The Web
Thank you coniferman. Nice to see you.

19 Nov 2010 07:33 #3 by conifermtman

CinnamonGirl wrote: Thank you coniferman. Nice to see you.

Thanks!

05 Dec 2010 08:18 #4 by major bean
That was very informational. I do like current developments with computing but am extremely skeptical about cloud computing. It would seem that cloud computing would eventually become very expensive for the user and a tool for control by governments. (While China is headed our way, we are headed their way.)

I clicked on the link on page 23 to visit [url=http://www.whatbrowser.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.whatbrowser.org[/url] and it irroneously told me that I was using Internet Explorer 8 instead of correctly identifying my browser as Internet Explorer 9 Beta for Windows 7 64 bit. Do you reckon that their bias is showing?

It was rather hard to select the text " www.whatbrowser.org " using my trackball because the page continually wanted to turn as I clicked and scrolled to the left to select the text.

Regards,
Major Bean

05 Dec 2010 08:28 #5 by CinnamonGirl
I do like Chrome.

05 Dec 2010 08:40 #6 by major bean

CinnamonGirl wrote: I do like Chrome.

What do you feel are the threats of cloud computing? Will it become a method of isolating individuals who the government feels are not social? or compliant?

Regards,
Major Bean

05 Dec 2010 09:20 #7 by CinnamonGirl
Double edged sword. There is such an issue with compatibility. And can see sharing resources but the laws are very muddled. The internet is not a private place. Laws and the internet are behind what they should be.

Sharing makes sense but open source does create a problem and I just see it getting worse until they really regulate it somehow.

05 Dec 2010 09:44 #8 by major bean
The computer has, even now, created a wide gulf between those who have 'putered up and those who have not. Today, the un-computered may as well live in the nineteenth century.

I can envision a time that 'puter access will be a privilage that will be granted or denied by the government. Because of remote access of data, software, information, finance, etc. of cloud computing the withholding of computing rights would be quite a coercive tool to force citizens to comply to governmental whim.

Even today, if the IRS or FBI decides to investigate or, maybe, file charges against you, your financial assets would be seized or incumbered so that you could not afford to defend yourself. The same methods would be applied using cloud computing to deny you access to the use of the web (or any computer that does not have apps residing on the hard drive). Now, picture that you are innocent of any wrongdoing and the government has unjustly started a proceeding against you.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds