Christmas gift ideas

29 Nov 2010 11:16 #1 by ScienceChic
Research has shown that the best thing you can do to stave off dementia is to exercise - both physically and mentally, so don't forget the adults in your life when looking for gifts this Christmas! I like this catalog especially because it contains lots of games that the whole family can play together.
http://www.mindware.com/Home/HomePage.aspx
brainy toys for kids of all ages

For the Geek in your life, they'll love this jewelry!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/molecularmuse

As a scientist-turned-artist, I've chosen to commemorate molecules that are both aesthetic and have functions that suggest a symbolic meaning. I believe that, not only are these molecules beautiful, they are relevant symbols for our modern world.

File Attachment:
Serotonin/Happiness

Serotonin is the molecule that makes us feel pleasantly happy, relaxed, and satisfied. It's the feeling of lying on a Caribbean beach on a sunny day. It's also the peace of feeling satisfied with one's life and one's self.

I have paired my charm (~1 inch long) based on the shape of the serotonin molecule with a circular charm (.5 inches) that has the word "happiness." They hang together on a 16 inch chain that closes with a lobster clasp. It is all sterling silver (the molecule charm is quality, recycled/reclaimed sterling silver) and comes in a gift box with an informative tag about serotonin.

File Attachment:
Caffeine Phone Charm

Carry your favorite molecule with you wherever you go! Not just for cell phones, this decorative bauble can also be used as a zipper pull, a purse charm, or backpack/bag decoration.

A sterling silver charm based on the shape of a caffeine molecule is attached to a black lanyard cord with sterling silver attachment.

The caffeine charm is about .75 x .75 inches. The whole piece is about 2.75 inches long.

It's high quality and an excellent gift, especially since it comes in a pretty recycled gift box with a little informational card about caffeine.

File Attachment:
Capsaicin Holiday Ornament

This pewter holiday ornament is based on the shape of the capsaicin molecule, which gives chili peppers that hot, burning sensation.
Each lead-free pewter ornament is about 3 inches long and comes with a capsaicin-design organic cotton pouch. (I designed the fabric, had it printed from spoonflower.com, then sewed the pouches.) I also include an informational card about capsaicin and a cute gift box made of recycled paper.

Wishing you a hot and spicy holiday season!

File Attachment:
Dopamine/Love

Dopamine helps us feel love and pleasure. It's part of our drive and reward pathway. Without it, life would be very bland. In fact, we may not even be alive since we would have no desire to eat or meet people or do anything. Dopamine gives us an intensely pleasurable feeling. When we are in love, we are flooded with dopamine. It's a wonderful little molecule!

What unique gifts have you found or received that you'd recommend?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Nov 2010 15:24 #2 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Christmas gift ideas
cool

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds