Why Engagement Rings Are Made With Diamonds

14 Dec 2010 09:40 #1 by Wayne Harrison
While we may think of the diamond engagement ring as a time-honored tradition, it’s really just the end result of a brilliant marketing plan De Beers rolled out in the late 1930s.

In 1938, De Beers’ execs were in a bit of a tight spot. Diamond demand and prices had been on a slow decline since 1919, and the tanking economy had led consumers to favor more modest rings that included intricate metalwork rather than gems. The cartel needed to tap into a new market to jumpstart its revenues. De Beers approached New York ad agency N.W. Ayer for help convincing Americans that they desperately needed diamonds.

The agency’s campaign was undoubtedly one of the most effective of all time. N.W. Ayer embarked on a multi-pronged attack that completely overhauled Americans’ view of diamonds. The agency got Hollywood’s biggest stars to wear diamonds and encouraged leading fashion designers to talk up diamond rings as an emerging trend. The plan worked beautifully; in the first three years of the campaign American diamond sales shot up by over 50 percent.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/76731

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Dec 2010 13:00 #2 by ScienceChic
Amazing what marketing can do to completely change the traditions of a group of people in such a short amount of time.

One of my favorite Ron White quotes, in a play on the famous De Beers signature line: "Diamonds...that'll shut her up. For a minute!" rofllol

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Dec 2010 01:01 #3 by Wayne Harrison
Or the guy who said, "You know that commercial 'Every Kiss Begins With Kay' (Jewlers?) If that's true then I'm doing my gift shopping at B.J. Liquors."

23 Dec 2010 01:59 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Why Engagement Rings Are Made With Diamonds
Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

23 Dec 2010 08:53 #5 by conifermtman
Diamonds, a huge waste of money. They aren't even a good investment. DeBeers has women so brainwashed that they need a big rock. The power of marketing!

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds