Lunar eclipse tonight could boost underdog meteor shower

20 Dec 2010 13:06 #1 by Photo-fish
When skywatchers think of meteor showers during the month of December, they immediately think of the Geminids, which over the years have evolved into the most prolific and reliable of the dozen or so annual meteor displays that take place. And yet, there is also another notable meteor shower that occurs during December that, in contrast, hardly gets much notice at all: the December Ursids. The peak of this meteor display usually occurs on the night of Dec. 22 to Dec. 23.

While the Ursids would normally be difficult to see during this time because of bright light from the full moon, the rare upcoming total lunar eclipse may provide a special chance to catch a glimpse of the Ursid meteor shower.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40751087?GT1=43001

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Dec 2010 23:43 #2 by ScienceChic
The lunar eclipse has begun! Go check it out if you're still awake!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Dec 2010 23:45 #3 by daisypusher
I am never awake at this time of night....

20 Dec 2010 23:50 #4 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Dec 2010 23:51 #5 by daisypusher

21 Dec 2010 01:35 #6 by ScienceChic
The eclipse was neat, but I couldn't see any of the meteor shower at all. Probably too many city lights drowning them out. Grr.

21 Dec 2010 02:01 #7 by Mr Peabody
Saw a number of shooting stars... the moon is awesome

21 Dec 2010 05:44 #8 by RenegadeCJ
Moon was awesome. Couldn't get a great pic....but at least got one in my mind!!

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

21 Dec 2010 07:46 #9 by CinnamonGirl
I am so upset with myself. I woke up and looked at it briefly at 1:20 because i was not feeling so hot last night and forgot to wake up my son and he missed it. Grrrr......

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds