Is email dead?

25 Dec 2010 08:03 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Is email dead? was created by CinnamonGirl
Is email dead? Under 25s abandoning 'cumbersome' mode of communication for social networking site

Many scoffed when Mark Zuckerberg declared the death of email last month. Now new figures reveal that the Facebook founder may be right.
Just like cassettes, videos and faxes, the use of email appears to be in an irreversible decline.
According to statistics from market researchers comScore, millions of Britons led by the under-25s are abandoning the cumbersome tool for social networking sites

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z198Uj3xTx

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... mmets.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Dec 2010 09:43 #2 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Is email dead?
The British are hardly the trendsetters of the world. Business communication will set the more lasting trend in communication. We will have to see if brick and mortar business will start conducting most of its communication with the cell phone (networking sites?) or email. If the trend goes to cell phone then the internet commercial storefronts will have to tie their sales to the networking sites. That might be quite a trick to accomplish.

If hard money cannot be squeezed from the networking sites then it will most probably display the life cycle of the tech boom of the turn of the century. And the networking sites will only be peripheral. (How much money have you spent on Facebook today? or Youtube?)

Regards,
Major Bean

25 Dec 2010 15:18 #3 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Is email dead?
E-mail is good, but not as personal as a letter. We've accepted that loss for the most part. I see social networks as even more impersonal. It may be acceptable for the young, but not for me.

26 Dec 2010 07:01 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Is email dead?
You guys have some good points. Youtube gives a very expensive service and there was a time when they were not making much. I am a firm believer that alot of the problems with site making money is the way they do their advertising.

I remember when I first found the internet, I even had prodigy for a month, there were 300 websites back then. The reason I loved it was I had the control of where I wanted to go. Television always told me what to do. It took some time for the internet to figure out how to make money. But now that it is not working as well, because there are so many sites to compete with that have the same advertising, they are not looking for more innovated ways to advertise. They are taking the lazy way out by just being aggressive and trying to control the user with pop up ads etc. Innovation is the way out of this issue for youtube and FB. Hey, youtube provides a very expensive service. Not easy to pay for.

26 Dec 2010 09:20 #5 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic Is email dead?
I like email, convenient, yet quick, although I've been told by the sub 25 group that they only text. Emails will sit in their inbox for days. Texting doesn't convey enough imho..

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds