Droid Incredible vs. new Verizon Iphone

12 Jan 2011 23:00 #1 by The Viking
I am ready to upgrade my phone in the next week or so and was wondering if people had any input on these two phones. I have a couple friends who have the Droid Incredible and say it is the best phone they have ever had. Then others say to wait till Feb to get the new Veriozon Iphone. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jan 2011 23:42 #2 by conifermtman
The Droid Incredible is at least 6 months old along with the IPhone 4. Unless your phone really sucks, either wait for the IPhone 5 which will come out in June or July or wait for a newer Android like the LG Revolution which has a dual core processor. Another decision point is if you are a heavy gMail user. If you are, the Android platform is seamless and the Maps and GPS apps are way better than what is on the IPhone. Also the Android Market is not censored like the Apple App Store is. It took Apple years to approve a Google Voice app on the IPhone, prior to being approved it had to be run through the browser. Also, if you want to view websites with flash content, you can't do it on an IPhone but Android does it natively.

I have a HTC EVO on Sprint which is a 4G phone. Since I spend most of my day downtown this has worked out great for me, super fast. I still get 3G speed in Conifer and you can use it to tether to your computer for an Internet connection. I'm doing it right now and I get the same speeds as Qwest.

13 Jan 2011 08:46 #3 by Wayne Harrison
There's already a discussion on this here:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" 285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7300 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7300<!-- l -->

As far as the apps being "censored" ... Apple is very careful about approving apps, due to the threat of viruses being snuck in on an app. However, there are over 100,000 approved iPhone apps now.

Google Voice was believed to have been originally rejected by AT&T because it took long distance business away from them. My personal experience with Google Voice as a VOIP is less than satisfactory. Skype is much better, IMO.

I have an iPhone 3G and have been extremely satisfied with it, along with AT&T service.

Go to Verizon and to AT&T stores and try out the phones and see which one suits you the best.

13 Jan 2011 09:50 #4 by Grady
What is the ETA for Verizon's 4G service? It can't be far off.

13 Jan 2011 14:27 #5 by V_A

Grady wrote: What is the ETA for Verizon's 4G service? It can't be far off.

They have rolled out service in some cities but it will take 3 years for the nationwide roll out to be complete.

13 Jan 2011 14:40 #6 by The Viking

I just had a long talk with Verizon and I am sold on the Droid. It has a lot more going for it than the Iphone right now. She thinks the 4G is about 2-3 months out. And she has used all the phones and as she said, she hates to be the first to use anything. So she is waiting till the second generation of 4G phones to work the bugs out which may be towards the end of the year. The dual core processor with the 4G will be the best but that will be summer for the first generation of those and I am waiting till the second generation of those phones towards the end of the year when they have worked out the bugs. For now the Droid Incredible is head and shoulders above everything else out there.

13 Jan 2011 14:47 #7 by RenegadeCJ
Don't forget about the new Verizon policy on renewals. You won't get the early renewal discounts, and even the 2 yr renewals won't be cheap like they are now. I'm sure AT&T will follow suit..... Get what you want, because unlike in the past, we won't be upgrading as frequently.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

13 Jan 2011 14:50 #8 by The Viking

RenegadeCJ wrote: Don't forget about the new Verizon policy on renewals. You won't get the early renewal discounts, and even the 2 yr renewals won't be cheap like they are now. I'm sure AT&T will follow suit..... Get what you want, because unlike in the past, we won't be upgrading as frequently.

What are the new policies? They told me 1 year and I am eligible minus the $30 extra discount. Not a huge deal to not have to wait 6 months for a better phone. My Blackberry ball is giving me issues again. 3rd time in 3 years and I am ready to upgrade. I love the blackberry but I guess I can try the touch screen. And the Droid Incredible is the only one with an 8 megapixel camera which I use a lot.

13 Jan 2011 15:36 #9 by RenegadeCJ
http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/tech ... 852427732/

I've heard good things about the droid. Have a blackberry bold myself...and I like it. Actually have a 2nd one I'm getting ready to list on CL (got it for an employee who ended up not working out)...but it won't help you, I'm thinking it is an AT&T only....

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

13 Jan 2011 16:10 #10 by conifermtman

The Viking wrote:

I just had a long talk with Verizon and I am sold on the Droid. It has a lot more going for it than the Iphone right now. She thinks the 4G is about 2-3 months out. And she has used all the phones and as she said, she hates to be the first to use anything. So she is waiting till the second generation of 4G phones to work the bugs out which may be towards the end of the year. The dual core processor with the 4G will be the best but that will be summer for the first generation of those and I am waiting till the second generation of those phones towards the end of the year when they have worked out the bugs. For now the Droid Incredible is head and shoulders above everything else out there.

You may want to take a look at the HTC EVO if you don't mind switching networks. 4G already exists in Denver and its a very popular phone among Android developers.
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?n ... Comparison

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds