New report: just how much a car commute crushes your soul

23 Jan 2011 00:30 #1 by ScienceChic
http://www.grist.org/article/2011-01-20 ... hes-your-s
New report quantifies just how much a car commute crushes your soul
by Jess Zimmerman 21 Jan 2011 5:53 AM

Car commutes sap your life force -- that's common knowledge. But can you quantify exactly how much, and how quickly? The Texas Transportation Institute at Texas A&M University can. It's just released its annual Urban Mobility Report, http://mobility.tamu.edu/ums/ which includes data on how much time, money, and mental health urban-area car commuters lose to congestion every year.

D.C. and Chicago are most congested: lose 70 hours of their lives to rush-hour traffic every year. That's not how much time they spend in a car -- that's how much longer they spend in a car than they would under better traffic conditions.

Congestion costs money: Between the value of their time and the excess fuel consumption from their extra hours on the road (57 extra gallons for pack leader D.C., 39 on average), car commuters are paying good money for the privilege of a frustrating drive. The average cost to all commuters was $808, and the average over 15 very large metro areas was $1,166.

Congestion costs more than money: First of all, the environmental effect of all of this congestion is downright gross. From the TTI press release: "The total amount of wasted fuel in 2009 topped 3.9 billion gallons -- equal to 130 days of flow in the Alaska Pipeline."

Public transportation helps, a lot: The researchers estimated that the extensive public transport system in runaway leader New York saved commuters almost $9 billion and over 350 million potential lost hours [PDF]. On the whole, public transportation made a huge difference in alleviating the money and time cost of congestion -- it saved commuters 785 million hours and 640 million gallons of fuel over the year, for a total of $19 billion. Improvements in road efficiency (i.e., road changes that aren't just more roads) helped only half as much.

The solution is less sprawl, not more roads: The keenest criticism of the report is that it unjustly penalizes densely-packed cities, which are better than sprawly ones in basically all other ways. So you should take the rankings with a grain of salt. But we'll co-sign on the general conclusions: Americans spend a metric buttload of time and energy just slogging our way through traffic, and public transportation can help reduce the burden.

How Denver fares: http://mobility.tamu.edu/ums/congestion ... /denve.pdf

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jan 2011 07:16 #2 by major bean
Commute does not equal congestion. This article is not science but rather op ed.

Regards,
Major Bean

23 Jan 2011 11:13 #3 by ScienceChic
More cars on the road equals congestion, and as the majority of people work the same hours and are on the road at the same time, then yes commute does equal congestion. The article I cited is a summary report of the study and does a good job of explaining the shortcomings of the research, but the study itself from the Texas Transportation Institute, which I also linked to, is indeed more than just opinion - it's observable facts and analyses of said facts. It's not traditional or exact science, which is why I didn't put it in the Science Odds and Ends thread, but is an attempt to observe and quantify travel speeds, time, and impacts thereon as well as the effectiveness of various mitigation measures implemented.

http://mobility.tamu.edu/ums/report/met ... atsnew.stm
How We Got the Numbers
Methodology – What's New for 2010

The new data and analysis changes the way the mobility information can be presented and how the problems are evaluated. The changes for the 2010 report are summarized below.
* Hour-by-hour speeds collected from a variety of sources on every day of the year on most major roads are used in the 101 detailed study areas and the 338 other urban areas. For more information about INRIX, go to [url=http://www.inrix.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.inrix.com[/url].
* An improved speed estimation process was built from the new data for major roads without detailed speed data. (See the methodology descriptions on the Report website – mobility.tamu.edu).
* The data for all 24 hours makes it possible to track congestion problems for the midday, overnight and weekend time periods.

http://mobility.tamu.edu/ums/resources/

The documents and web sites below provide additional guidance and information for a variety of mobility measurement efforts.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/start.pdf
Travel Time Data Collection Handbook
Methods to collect travel time and speed information.

http://mobility.tamu.edu/ucr/resources/ ... essing.pdf
Data Processing Steps in Mobility Monitoring Program
A short summary of the procedures used for data quality control and database creation.

http://tti.tamu.edu/documents/474360-1.pdf
Selecting Travel Reliability Measures
Performance measures for reliability from a user perspective.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Jan 2011 11:23 #4 by conifermtman
Just more left wing dribble to get people to buy into public transportation. For most people public transportation does not work out because it does not take the precise route needed to get from point a to point b. Now I do take the lightrail downtown because it drops me right off in front of my building, but for any of my other use cases it does not work out. What can take someone 20 minutes in a car can take over an hour on a bus. Exactly how is that better? On top of that you have to plan your life around the bus or train which most of the time does not work out. Even if you live on a particular bus or light rail route getting onto another route is a long process.

23 Jan 2011 17:19 #5 by 2wlady
I once lived in No. Va. and commuted to DC, parts of VA and parts of MD. If I took bus and Metro (subway) to the MD job, it took 2.5-3 hours.

If I commuted to DC, it took 1.5 hours (bus and Metro).

I drove to VA jobs because I could make it in 45 minutes (11 miles) and bus took 1.5 hours, and had to change buses.

I also found that when it snowed, my bus would either be full and I would have to hike several stops back (DC) to find a bus that could take me, or, in the VA commute, the bus never came at all.

Here, I have no idea how I would get to my job if I commuted by bus. I gave up trying to figure it out after 3 bus changes.

23 Jan 2011 17:37 #6 by major bean
Public transport only makes you dependent upon the government (subsidied companies). "We're all in this together" type of sheeples is not what built this country and makes us distinctive from all other cultures that have ever been on the face of the earth.

Independence, freedom, rugged individualism. That's what life is all about! Hunt the buffalo and take the risks with which it is associated.

Regards,
Major Bean

23 Jan 2011 19:22 #7 by CinnamonGirl
I have worked at home for over 10 years because I hate travel. I do think I am way more effective because of it. I think of all the things I could be doing rather than traveling. I hate it.

24 Jan 2011 06:55 #8 by 2wlady
The good side of public transportation, at least for me, was that I could read or catch up on my sleep, and visit with the fellow riders who were "regulars" on my routes.

25 Jan 2011 15:03 #9 by FredHayek
I don't see how people do it, mine is 15 minutes by morning and 30 minutes in the evening. (You think people would move faster to get home at night.)
I know one woman who lives in LA where it takes her 30 minutes just to get onto the freeway!

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Jan 2011 17:43 #10 by Rockdoc
Many years ago I commuted to work from Slidell to New Orleans. It was seventy miles one way with no viable alternatives. A number of us in our subdivision car pooled, but it was still a drag. This is where I learned to slow down while commuting to reduce the stress. Had public transportation been available it is still was a huge waste of time, not to mention the need to get up at the crack of dawn just to get the commute going.

If lucky enough to work from home, it's great, but you do miss out on the social interactions that take place at work. What we need is a different form of transport from car, train, boat, etc. Beam me over Scotty would certainly take the bite out of our current methods. Certainly research og this type must be taking place.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds