Would you be irritated?

29 Jan 2011 15:49 #1 by HappyCamper
Here is the situation, we have one dog that needs all her shots and the other (3) do not need theirs for another 6 ½ months.

We are needing to board the dogs next weekend so they all need bordetella, when I called to make the appointment I was told all 4 dogs must have a wellness exam as it had been longer than 6 months since they had been seen. Keep in mind that our dogs are all young and they get a wellness check every year either when they get their shots (ours are on the 3 year vaccines) or when we have them checked for heartworm and renew the heartworm medication.

We have been with our vet for over 13 years now and most times we have the bordetella on hand from the Internet so it has never been an issue that has come up.

They have been with us through major illnesses with our dogs over the years and we have spent thousands of dollars with them. If they review our records they will see that I am not blowing smoke here they have the paperwork to prove it.

Why is it that a human doctor has you come in once a year but animals are twice, I don’t get it mostly because all I need them to do is put a nose drop in.

I nicely pointed this out and reminded the receptionist who we were and they still would not cut us a break.

So needless to say I am changing vets over this, I know that the current vet will call when the new vet requests the records and ask what it up but I gave the receptionist fair warning and I did tell her that I would be happy to talk to the vet should they have a change of mind knowing that we will be bringing the other 3 back in 6 ½ months from now.

Oh well, had to vent in an emergency our dogs go to the closest vet which they are so odds our they will still get some of our business but…the yearly/vaccine stuff and anything that is not an emergency is not going to happen anymore.

I am not going to post the vet name as they are a good vet and they do a great job. I am putting this out there so maybe they or others see how this type of attitude can really break a relationship. If I had more time to deal with this I would but the dogs have to have bordetella for at least 3 days prior to them staying at the spa (that is what we call it) for it to be effective and my schedule is limited this week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jan 2011 18:45 #2 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Would you be irritated?
Vets are there to serve you. Sounds as if they are running your life. The vets should run by your schedule, not theirs. Only take your animals to them whenever absolutely necessary and what is required by law. If that is too much then get rid of the animals, as they are unnecessary.

Regards,
Major Bean

29 Jan 2011 19:02 #3 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Would you be irritated?
Just your point of view.

Unnecessary is a strong word and if you look deeper into it many people might say the same thing about kids and I doubt people would just get rid of them.

29 Jan 2011 19:11 #4 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Would you be irritated?

If that is too much then get rid of the animals, as they are unnecessary.

I think that takes the prize for the most heartless and uninformed comment I have seen.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

29 Jan 2011 19:15 #5 by major bean
Dogs are/were working/hunting animals. Taking them inside the house and car as a dependent is a very recent development. This is a burden taken on voluntarily by people, but not a necessary burden. If it begins to be too much trouble, then it would be wise to simplify your life by getting rid of the unnecessary burden.
To my ancestors they were food.

Regards,
Major Bean

29 Jan 2011 19:44 #6 by HappyCamper
It is not a burden to us just pointing out that many of the vets up here might be asking a lot requiring a wellness exam every 6 months to apply a simple nose drop.

As animals age I have no problem with the 6 month check-up makes sense as people get old they go to the doctor more than once a year.

The breeds of dogs we have taste bad would not recommend them for eating!!!! rofllol rofllol rofllol

29 Jan 2011 20:13 #7 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Would you be irritated?

major bean wrote: Dogs are/were working/hunting animals. Taking them inside the house and car as a dependent is a very recent development. This is a burden taken on voluntarily by people, but not a necessary burden. If it begins to be too much trouble, then it would be wise to simplify your life by getting rid of the unnecessary burden.
To my ancestors they were food.

It's not a burden at all....interesting choice of words major bean....it is pure pleasure to share one's life with a loyal furry companion or two....or more. I've had pups of one kind or another all my life, cannot imagine a life without them.....

29 Jan 2011 20:14 #8 by major bean
My suggestion was to have the vets work for you, and reverse the role of you being the slave to the vets. Tell the vet to take a hike and take your business elsewhere. That will get his attention and place the roles as they should be: you are the customer, he is the supplier.

Regards,
Major Bean

29 Jan 2011 20:26 #9 by HappyCamper
In a perfect world yes, this is how it should be and my post was just that. We have found another vet that is willing to work with us.

In working to find a new vet I did find that many vets up here have the same opinion and wanted to express my disappointment that they require a health check for a nose drop.

In the future I will be better at keeping the bordetella stocked at the house so I do not have to deal with this.

But sadly, our vet has lost a customer at least for non-emergency type issues.

What we needed to get done is not a burden and yes I can pay for it so this is not the issue.

I still will not eat my dog, nor do I want anyone to eat them, as I said the breeds they are are bad tasting.

29 Jan 2011 20:33 #10 by major bean
Tell your vet that a "wellness" checkup is not necessary and that you appreciate his suggestion. You are the one who will set the schedule for your pet and your vet should be told this in no uncertain terms. Take him out of the driver's seat and take command.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds