Where did you Learn to Swim?

10 Feb 2011 13:07 #11 by ScienceChic
Cincinnati. How did you end up Libertarian and me liberal? lol

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Feb 2011 13:33 #12 by Blazer Bob
Its evolutionary. I stand by my earlier prediction.

10 Feb 2011 13:43 #13 by Photo-fish
Thrown off the dock at our cabin on Lake Thompson in N. Wisconsin. I was a fish from that point on.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

10 Feb 2011 13:45 #14 by RivendaleFarms
Deer Lake in Michigan, mom sent me to lessons when I was about 4. I remember they had a pipe strung up across an area that you could hold on to while "going under." Grew up with lakes all around, so spent a good part of every summer in the water. Never was a strong swimmer, but I can doggy paddle for days.

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

10 Feb 2011 13:46 #15 by ScienceChic

neptunechimney wrote: Its evolutionary. I stand by my earlier prediction.

Is that the one where you get more liberal and I get more conservative?

:no: :can't hear :VeryScared: :faint: :biggrin:

Or do we only switch once? :thumbsup:

PF wrote: Thrown off the dock at our cabin on Lake Thompson in N. Wisconsin.

Why does this not surprise me? What did you do?! :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Feb 2011 13:58 #16 by Photo-fish

Science Chic wrote:

neptunechimney wrote: Its evolutionary. I stand by my earlier prediction.

Is that the one where you get more liberal and I get more conservative?

:no: :can't hear :VeryScared: :faint: :biggrin:

Or do we only switch once? :thumbsup:

PF wrote: Thrown off the dock at our cabin on Lake Thompson in N. Wisconsin.

Why does this not surprise me? What did you do?! :biggrin:

Swallowed some lake water, gagged, screamed and cried. There were a bunch of family around so I was not in danger. I was pulled out and set on the dock again where I jumped off by myself. I was only allowed to swim where I could stand up at that time. Any farther out & I used and old life vest or a paddle board. Later on I could swim across the lake by myself.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

10 Feb 2011 21:31 #17 by Hoot Owl
Colorado Springs YMCA, lessons starting at 5yrs old, Went on for lifesaving in high school. I could not conquer the breast stroke. Comquered pool kayaking in college.
I can swim in a lake but wont jump in feet first. Diving off the houseboat, deck or roof is the best.I like to seewhere I am going. Plus I hate undertows, in the ocean

10 Feb 2011 22:42 #18 by Surveyor
Great thread. Brings back memories. My two nicknames as a kid were "water rat" & "cannonball". I kinda sorta had to learn 'cause Mom would put my playpen in the water and put me (2-3 yrs old) in it down the "shore" which was on the Patapsco River where it flows into the Chesapeake Bay.

Later, at 5 yrs old, I perfected my dog paddle at the community pool. Real lessons came via YMCA for years during the summer months--all the way thru WSI. By then I was hooked, so took fitness swimming in college too. Never got the hang of the butterfly. Beautiful stroke, but I just never got it all together.

My sibs and I were all water babies--swam like fish. At 2 years old, I nearly got swept out to sea at the beach when a wave bigger than I was came in and got me. Mom couldn't swim, but ruined her dress running out to grab me.

I still went in the ocean as I grew up, but when I was 18 I was nearly taken out to sea once more while on an inflatable raft--tide was going out and I might have been in a rip current too--couldn't get into shore no matter how hard I swam/paddled. Scary stuff. A huge wave finally came along and swept me in. I got sand burns from hitting bottom. Never really went in the ocean much after that. Swimming pools, sometimes. Lakes are too cold.

11 Feb 2011 08:01 #19 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Where did you Learn to Swim?
Never been a strong swimmer. We went to the pool at Ft. Myer when I was very little. In Germany and Baltimore, not too many places to go and Germany was COLD.

Then, Ft. Richie, Maryland. Aaaaahhhh! Wonderful lake. Officers Club on one side, NCO on the other. I took lessons at the NCO, I guess OC was too high brow for that.

There were three swans on the lake as well as other water fowl. The third swan was the son of the couple. He just wouldn't leave the lake. Sometimes the swans would get upset about something and come running up onto the beach, wings outstretched and flapping, necks extended, beaks open and hissing, charging anyone who was unlucky enough to be in their paths.

Everyone had to stand and face the direction of the flag when taps was played and the flag taken down for the night. One time my brother and his friends were standing on a long wooden surfboard during taps. Suddely we heard three splashes. Yes, they tipped over. Knowing my brother, it was done intentionally.

11 Feb 2011 08:07 #20 by pound dog mom
Ocean - my dad threw me in because I would not walk into the waves and I got caught in the undertow and I have been scarred to death of water ever since. No swimming for me.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds