Where did you Learn to Swim?

10 Feb 2011 09:18 #1 by Grady
I was doing some reflection yesterday and one of the things that popped into my head was where I had learned to swim. I learned to swim in the very cold Trinity River in Willow Creek in Northern California. 40 56.289 N 123 37.789 W

So where did you learn to swim? Did you learn to swim ? Was it a good experience ?
Think Spring :biggrin:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Feb 2011 09:35 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Where did you Learn to Swim?
I was a fish as a kid. I went through all the lessons even the lifeguard lessons. In a small town that is what we did all day during the summer. My parents would bring us into town and we would spend the entire day at the pool. My blond hair would turn green from the chlorine. We went tubing in the river and my girlfriend had a swing over the river we would jump in and we swam in the ponds. I had my kids take swimming lessons too. I think that is pretty important. Twice a year we used to go to Lake Mcconaughy. I could fish and swim all day. And fall asleep to the sound of water at night. And the waves are the best. The wave pool at water world is a ton of fun.

I have a huge thing for beaches and water. Night on the beach is my favorite thing in the whole world.

Grady, are you a good swimmer and who taught you?

10 Feb 2011 10:28 #3 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Where did you Learn to Swim?
My parents first, then when we moved to a town that had public or at least semi public pools (you could buy a membership), I took lessons, I had passed the lifesaving classes before I was even old enough to hold the cetificates. My dad was an avid skin and scuba diver so I spent many many hours at the beach. Every year we spent at least a month camped at the beach. Somewhere I have a picture of a 12 year old Grady standing next to his first surfboard. Yes I was a surfer dude with blonde hair and zinc oxide on his nose.

10 Feb 2011 10:29 #4 by ScienceChic
My brother and I were sent to a neighbor's friend who taught groups of kids at her home pool. Now I'm wondering what my parents paid for that? I'll have to ask the next time I talk to them! I've been sending my kids to the local rec center - they have classes for kids as young as 18 months (which is great if the pool water is warm enough, not so great otherwise).

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Feb 2011 11:32 #5 by Local_Historian
Other. My grandpa taught me on a trip to Texas in the trailer park pool.

10 Feb 2011 11:55 #6 by Blazer Bob
Never did. As I recall, that is the reason I chose the Navy. I figured that part of becoming a sailor would be learning how to swim. Little did I know.

Early on in boot camp they gave us a swim test. Before it began, we were told that if anyone had the smallest scintilla of doubt if we could pass it raise your hand. Naturally I did. Little did I know.
They yanked me out of my company and put me into a holding co. which was full of rejects who were being processed for discharge. Kind of like the group W bench rejects. The minimum to get out of there was to float for 5 minutes. I made up my mind that first chance they gave me, I would ether float long enough to get out of that co. or drown. So I did.

[youtube:1es6xufe]
[/youtube:1es6xufe]

10 Feb 2011 12:06 #7 by pacamom

Science Chic wrote: My brother and I were sent to a neighbor's friend who taught groups of kids at her home pool. Now I'm wondering what my parents paid for that? I'll have to ask the next time I talk to them! I've been sending my kids to the local rec center - they have classes for kids as young as 18 months (which is great if the pool water is warm enough, not so great otherwise).

Was that the lady who taught the whole neighborhood how to swim? They did a news piece on her last year, or two years ago. The neighbors were doing fundraisers to help her keep on teaching kids to swim.

I learned in a lake. I remember when we moved to a town that had a pool that I already knew how to swim. At the time, I hated the pool. Now, adult fears have taken over, and I love to swim in pools. (big hot pools). Lakes have creepy things in them, although I do love to swim in the ocean. (with water shoes on).

10 Feb 2011 12:13 #8 by MamaRama
Lincoln High School!! We lived 4 blocks away and we walked there every morning about 7 A.M. and back about 10 A.M. We had our rolled up towel , swimming cap, nose plug in tow....WOW!!! How GREAT it was!!!! :woo hoo: :biggrin:

10 Feb 2011 13:00 #9 by ScienceChic

pacamom wrote:

Science Chic wrote: My brother and I were sent to a neighbor's friend who taught groups of kids at her home pool. Now I'm wondering what my parents paid for that? I'll have to ask the next time I talk to them! I've been sending my kids to the local rec center - they have classes for kids as young as 18 months (which is great if the pool water is warm enough, not so great otherwise).

Was that the lady who taught the whole neighborhood how to swim? They did a news piece on her last year, or two years ago. The neighbors were doing fundraisers to help her keep on teaching kids to swim.

I learned in a lake. I remember when we moved to a town that had a pool that I already knew how to swim. At the time, I hated the pool. Now, adult fears have taken over, and I love to swim in pools. (big hot pools). Lakes have creepy things in them, although I do love to swim in the ocean. (with water shoes on).

No - this was back in Ohio, and I won't say how many years ago! :wink:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Feb 2011 13:03 #10 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: []No - this was back in Ohio, and I won't say how many years ago! :wink:

Where in Ohio? I'm from Cleveland.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds