Watson on Jeopardy February 14th

11 Feb 2011 12:21 #1 by Grady

Why Jeopardy!? The game of Jeopardy! makes great demands on its players – from the range of topical knowledge covered to the nuances in language employed in the clues. Can the analytical power of a computer system – normally accustomed to executing precise requests – overcome these obstacles? Can the troves of knowledge written in human terms become easily searchable by a machine in order to deliver a single, precise answer? Can a quiz show help advance science

If I was a betting man, my money would be on Watson.
We are living in amazing times.

[center:1hfq5662]Links

IBM
and
Jeopardy [/center:1hfq5662]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Feb 2011 12:38 #2 by ScienceChic
Watson!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

11 Feb 2011 16:08 #3 by pineinthegrass
I hadn't heard of Watson before until a couple of days ago which I caught a PBS Nova show on it. It was very interesting!

The computer can come up with some dumb answers now and then, but they keep tweeking the software and I'm sure they'll be doing that up to the show. From what I saw, Watson should win it unless the Jeopardy producers come up with some categories designed to confuse the computer.

15 Feb 2011 08:27 #4 by Grady

Computer ties human as they square off on 'Jeopardy!'

Link to CNN
pretty amazing

15 Feb 2011 10:19 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Watson on Jeopardy February 14th
Darn I missed it!

15 Feb 2011 10:31 #6 by Grady
Double jeopardy tonight

16 Feb 2011 19:24 #7 by CinnamonGirl
I missed it but this is an interesting demo. I heard he has 16TB of ram and they have been working with it for 4 years. How does he know when to answer the host.

[youtube:2ft7ea63]
[/youtube:2ft7ea63]

17 Feb 2011 09:01 #8 by Grady
I thought they said Watson recieved the questions as text, I assume it answered as soon as it had a possible answer.

What is amazing is that within just a few years I expect you'll see that computing power and software on something as portable as your I Pad.

17 Feb 2011 09:12 #9 by CinnamonGirl
Here is another video I ran across about Ken.

[youtube:1g97bpdo]
[/youtube:1g97bpdo]

If you are going to lose, do it on a corporate question. LOL

18 Feb 2011 12:06 #10 by ScienceChic
http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/02/1 ... c=fb&cc=fp
IBM's Watson: A Hard Case
by Alva Noë
February 18, 2011

Watson produced answers to real questions, and it did so quickly and in ways that could only dimly be anticipated or understood by its designers. It beat its human opponents! This is a stunning achievement. A dazzling display of real-world, real-time responsiveness in action. Watson can think!

But hold on. Not so fast. Even if Watson is bristling and buzzing with intelligence, we can legitimately wonder whether it's the natural intelligence of its programmers that is in evidence, rather than that of Watson.

The IBM design team led by David Ferrucci built Watson to act as if it understood meanings that are, in fact, not available to it. And maybe that's the upshot of what Dan Dennett has called Darwin's dangerous idea; that's the way, the only way, meaning and thinking gets into the world, through natural (or artificial) design. Watson is surely nothing like us, as we fantasize ourselves to be. But if Darwin and Dennett are right, we may turn out to be a lot more like Watson than we ever imagined.

Now here's the rub. Watson, biologically speaking, if you get my drift, is a plant. Watson is big and it is rooted. Like all plants, it is deaf, blind, and immobile; it is basically incapable of directing action of any kind on the world around it. For it is right there — in the space that opens up between the animal and the world, in the situations that require of the animal that it shape and guide and organize its own actions and interactions with its surroundings — that intelligence ever enters the scene.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds