Maybe There's a 12-Step Program?

21 Feb 2011 15:52 #1 by RivendaleFarms
If any of you follow [url=http://www.yarnharlot.com:1argph42]The Yarn Harlot[/url] , you know she’s written extensive case studies about Startitis. You know, that knitter’s disease where in the blink of an eye you have 12 projects on needles and it either
a) feels perfectly normal, or
b) brings on a sense of enormous shame that results in your stashing project bags inside the piano and hope Aunt Clara doesn’t pop by for an impromptu concert.

While I think of it as Knitter’s A.D.D., (Oooh! Look! New sock yarn! Shiny!), I have crossed into territory where it’s now both oddly normal AND embarrassing.

[center:1argph42] WARNING: this disease can lie dormant for an undetermined period of time and then, Wham! Next thing you know
you’re buying 3 sets of size 1 DPN’s because your other 6 sets of size 1 DPN’s all have projects on them already and you
need to start these three new projects RIGHT NOW.
[/center:1argph42]

I unabashedly blame [url=http://spillyjane.blogspot.com:1argph42]SpillyJane[/url] for my most recent outbreak. (And Diane at the Knit Knook is a flat-out enabler, she’s now carrying SpillyJane patterns.) But, I digress…

Some folks call all those projects UFO’s: UnFinished Objects. I much prefer the WIP terminology: Works in Progress. Sounds much more productive, don’t you think? Anyway, judging by the bulk of my WIPS (and no, I will never, ever, ever really admit how many there are), it would appear I have an aversion to sleeves. Poking through the various project bags reveals a scary number of sweaters that are complete except for sleeves. In an ideal world, that would just make them vests, but it doesn’t work that way.

So, in the absence of a 12 Step Program for the likes of us (yeah, like there aren’t more of you out there), Diane has graciously put together a promotion for March to inspire us to finish up at least one big ol’ UFO. (Honestly? It’s her fault I started most of them, so I figure it’s only fair she light a fire to get me to finish at least one.)

Here’s the deal:

•The project must have been in the works for at least 6 months. (Laugh away, one of my UFO’s just had a birthday and I sang it a song.)
•It’s got to be worth it – a sweater, a mile-long scarf, or something decent sized. No piddly little socks or hats here.
•Bring the UFO (in its current condition of not-doneness) into the Knit Knook to show Diane and sign up.
•Finish your project in the month of March and bring the completed project in to show Diane. You’ll receive a chorus of attaboys and a certificate for 10% off any item in the shop!

So, now I just have to decide which sweater is actually going to get done – you in?

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Feb 2011 20:15 #2 by Fern Forest
I'm in! The Puget Sound drop stitch sweater...The Campus Cardigan...The Lime Tunic...the NESFH. OK, I not only need the March Finish-It-Up motivation, I think I also need the 12 Step Program...Maybe I should work on that, too? :lol:

Hey! Where's the knitting emoticon???

21 Feb 2011 20:28 #3 by wildiris
Forget the 12 Step Program, !!!

Okay! Now I just have to decide which sweater I will knit the sleeves for!
I really want to get my Northwest Celtic Jacket done that I started April 10, 2010.
I haven't touched it for 6 months! I stopped knitting on it because I had to knit Christmas gifts.
Maybe I could actually wear it this next month before the snow is gone.

I also have a few spring/summer tops that need long sleeves finished that I started before that,
but I really want to get the Celtic jacket done, so I think that's what I'll do.
However, I have to get my daughters birthday sweater done first, (it's 75% done and has short sleeves!)
and the socks I am knitting for Knit Knooks February/March sock contest.
It's a good thing I have my January, February, AND March Christmas Club gift done! Woowoo!
See you all at the Knit Knook where I will be knitting like crazy!

21 Feb 2011 20:45 #4 by wildiris
I couldn't resist posting this:
The Last Knit, when knitting becomes an obsession
ENJOY!

[youtube:2fx22lzg]
[/youtube:2fx22lzg]

21 Feb 2011 21:53 #5 by Fern Forest
I LOVE IT!!!! I thought of HVGAL and her rapid-fire needles clinking :lol:
Thanks for sharing. I must certainly download this for my own!

22 Feb 2011 01:28 #6 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Maybe There's a 12-Step Program?
I have had this problem for years and not just with crochet. I know I have a few boxes in the basement of other craft projects from years ago. I used to do crewel projects. That was fun. But I have a few unfinished items there too.

22 Feb 2011 06:56 #7 by unlimited
Fun video! Maybe that's what happened to Sally's hair? :woo hoo:

22 Feb 2011 07:05 #8 by wildiris
rofllol

22 Feb 2011 07:24 #9 by RivendaleFarms
I married a smartass.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

22 Feb 2011 14:10 #10 by RivendaleFarms
wildiris, I'm thinking the same thing on the Celtic jacket, but I'd like to have these other two to wear as well! Maybe I can finish sleeves on all three? (Good to be an optimist)

This one's awfully comfy:

This one is awfully pretty and wins for being the oldest:

Look familiar? Hey! I forgot I was that far along on sleeve #1!

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds