Elk guns.....

24 Feb 2011 10:15 #1 by bailey bud
Elk guns..... was created by bailey bud
I know there's a few deer and elk hunters hanging out around here.

What makes a good elk gun?

What's your favorite caliber? (7mm, 270, 30-06, 300 Win Mag)
I've owned and shot shotguns for a couple of decades. Bangs and kicks don't bother me.

Most dealers say 30-06 or 300 Win Mag. The widely poo-poo the .308. Ambivalent about 7mm and 270.

Any good (reliable) starter models?

Surprised to see that both Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas have some left over Remington 700 ADLs (stainless) that they packaged up with a scope. They look decent. (way better than the junky 770s). Sure - there's an internal magazine - but I had that on my Winchester 94 . The Winchester 700 action is proven with US DoD (I.e. M24)

I was impressed by the Weatherby Vanguard. I thought they were just cheap Wal-Mart guns - the Sportsman's guy convinced me otherwise. Cabelas has a package with their scope.

Savage? (is the trigger just a marketing gimick?)

Stainless or Blued?
(I like stainless)

Finally - most important - glass..... are there scopes to like or avoid?
(I like Leupold and Redfield)

What's the best way to get an elk gun without spending a mint.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Feb 2011 10:36 #2 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Elk guns.....
Ruger bolt action chambered for 300 Winchester magnum
A bolt action will be more accurate at distance than a lever action or semi.

You do not want a stainless gun because elk can see. Deer look, but elk see. You want a finish on the gun that does not reflect or is not easily seen.

To get an elk by skill you must spend vast amounts of time in the forests at all times of the year to learn their habits. If you cannot spend the time to learn the game, then you must go with a hunting guide in order to assure yourself of success.

A scope is a personal preference and also depends upon the type of hunting that you will be doing. If you hunt in the forest the scope will be quite different than if you hunt in more open areas with longer shots.

Regards,
Major Bean

24 Feb 2011 11:24 #3 by conifermtman
Replied by conifermtman on topic Elk guns.....
I use a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun chambered in 45-70. Its not a flat shooting gun so marksmanship skills come into play. However it will take down any animal on the planet cleanly.

24 Feb 2011 11:32 #4 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Elk guns.....
I have been mostly a bow hunter for 17 years but when I use a rifle I use the 30-06 and it is my favorite.

24 Feb 2011 13:15 #5 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Elk guns.....
I've been using my Bear archery Attack bow , but haven't been able to close the distance.

So this year I may go back to my .308 with 180 gr round. I am still planning on deer with the bow, bow hunting is a lot of fun and you don't have to wear orange.

24 Feb 2011 17:36 #6 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Elk guns.....
bb, are you still near Durango, or near 285 vicinity? You've got a lot of questions so here goes. Look at the maximum distance you are willing to take a shot at. This could be due to terrain, vegetation, shooting skill, etc. A long lever action shot is 200 yds. For a bolt action it could be extended to the reasonable limit of your skill level. I've got rifles from the big three, Remington, Ruger and Winchester and like features on all. The Savage accutrigger is good enough to make them the close forth biggest. Weatherby have good rifles and many love them. For me, a western stock (no high cheek rest and heel drop) works best. All newer rifles have decent triggers again (thank Savage). If big optics are your thing, look at Browning rifles due to short bolt lift. As far as caliber, do you want widespread available ammo (every hardware store, gun shop in the state) stick with .270 (on the light side), .308 or .30-06 (most available), .300 mags of any sort, 8mm or .338 mag if you want it anchored fast. I personally handload for 23 different cartridges, so I believe there is a gun/caliber/scope or sight that is perfect for any particular situation but all are compromises for every situation. Feel all the makes and try all the features since really good rifles are in abundance. Leupold have decent glass and seem strong and well warranteed. Bushnell has some nice scopes on their higher end stuff. I have one Nikon, one Simmons (only on a .22). Hope it helps more than confuses.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

25 Feb 2011 08:41 #7 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Elk guns.....
:yeahthat: good info

25 Feb 2011 09:00 #8 by BearMtnHIB
Replied by BearMtnHIB on topic Elk guns.....

What's the best way to get an elk gun without spending a mint.

I am not the most experienced hunter since I just got my hunters safety a few years ago and have not yet shot an elk - but I do have the rifle.

I wound up with a Ruger M77 chambered for 30-06. Like the rifle alot- it is reasonably priced and I think you get excellent value with Rugar. The ammo can be bought anywhere for the 30-06 as has been mentioned- this was one consideration.

Looking at the ballistics chart you can see that the 30-06 is up there in power as well.

Anyway - check out the Rugar M77, and let us know what you finally wind up with.

http://www.gamecalls.net/table.html

03 Apr 2011 18:52 #9 by Martin Ent Inc
Replied by Martin Ent Inc on topic Elk guns.....
06 will down any animal in north america.
I do like a 270 for deer when they are out about 300 yards though.

07 Apr 2011 23:20 #10 by bailey bud
Replied by bailey bud on topic Elk guns.....
checked out a lot of options!

The hunt is half the fun -

Found:
- old Browning A-Bolt with Leupold VX II 3-9 in .30-06 (my favorite)
- Remington 700 ADL with Redfield 3-9x40
- Sporterized Remington/Springfield 1903 (.30-06) with 4x Weaver scope
- Savage 110 (pre-accutrigger) with Leupold rings (no scope) in 7mm Rem
- Savage 116 (pre-accutrigger) with cheap Bushnell 3-9x in 7mm Rem
- Ruger M77 in 7mm WSM (great gun - way too expensive for ammmo!)

Still smitten with the Weatherby in stainless.

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds