Why you should never, ever use two spaces after a period.

27 Feb 2011 19:51 #11 by 2wlady
You sound like a fossil! The world moves on, sometimes for the better and sometimes not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Feb 2011 08:43 #12 by ComputerBreath
I disagree the world moves on... Those of us that were trained as typists, were trained to put two spaces between the period at the end of the sentence and the first letter of the next sentence. And that was the way it was trained for years, and years, and years.

Furthermore, this is the way the Air Force still teaches typing, whether on a computer or a word processor (which I don't think they still have) or on a typewriter. If whoever makes the rules wants to include the one space rule, that is fine, but allow the person who is typing to decide which way they want to type. And leave the original rules alone. I'd be curious to find out how many trained secretary's/Admin Assistants/Typists use the one space rule.

28 Feb 2011 09:13 #13 by major bean

2wlady wrote: You sound like a fossil! The world moves on, sometimes for the better and sometimes not.

I got out of my fossilbed this morning, clatterred to the shower, dusted off my bones, came to my computer and the first thing that I read is that I am an old fossil.

I could have told you that.

Someday the latest Darwinian offspring will point to your spelling which is not of the latest texting and say "EMFBI BHOF I Bn BMGWL. 121 UR WRDS NSISR" Translation: "Excuse me for butting in, bald headed old fart, I been bustin my gut with laughter. One to one, your words I'm not sure if they are spelled right."

Regards,
Major Bean

28 Feb 2011 11:11 #14 by CinnamonGirl

ComputerBreath wrote: I disagree the world moves on... Those of us that were trained as typists, were trained to put two spaces between the period at the end of the sentence and the first letter of the next sentence. And that was the way it was trained for years, and years, and years.

Furthermore, this is the way the Air Force still teaches typing, whether on a computer or a word processor (which I don't think they still have) or on a typewriter. If whoever makes the rules wants to include the one space rule, that is fine, but allow the person who is typing to decide which way they want to type. And leave the original rules alone. I'd be curious to find out how many trained secretary's/Admin Assistants/Typists use the one space rule.

:yeahthat:

28 Feb 2011 12:26 #15 by 2wlady
I am no longer a typist, secretary, administrative assistant, although I took typing classes and was at the head of my class in speed, etc.

Now I write for a living and type all day long. And, I have switched to the one space.

But it doesn't matter to me what you do.

Air Force - rofllol We all know how slowly the military moves when it comes to rules and regulations, or, at least, I do, having experienced it.

MB wrote:

Someday the latest Darwinian offspring will point to your spelling which is not of the latest texting and say "EMFBI BHOF I Bn BMGWL. 121 UR WRDS NSISR" Translation: "Excuse me for butting in, bald headed old fart, I been bustin my gut with laughter. One to one, your words I'm not sure if they are spelled right."

2wlady wrote: You sound like a fossil! The world moves on, sometimes for the better and sometimes not.

I have no idea what you are talking about. My world, as I knew it, is gone, gone, gone!

28 Feb 2011 14:30 #16 by CinnamonGirl
Well, let's just really turn things upside down. I have to admit I use outlook as a word processor as much if not more than word.

Goodbye, Word. I've got mail
http://blog.syracuse.com/cny/2011/02/go ... _mail.html

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds