Why you should never, ever use two spaces after a period.

25 Feb 2011 23:31 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Are they kidding me? Typing rules have always been two spaces. I don't think I could even not space twice if I tried. I was a typist before the internet too.

http://www.slate.com/id/2281146

Can I let you in on a secret? Typing two spaces after a period is totally, completely, utterly, and inarguably wrong.
And yet people who use two spaces are everywhere, their ugly error crossing every social boundary of class, education, and taste.*

You'd expect, for instance, that anyone savvy enough to read Slate would know the proper rules of typing, but you'd be wrong; every third e-mail I get from readers includes the two-space error. (In editing letters for "Dear Farhad," my occasional tech-advice column, I've removed enough extra spaces to fill my forthcoming volume of melancholy epic poetry, The Emptiness Within.) The public relations profession is similarly ignorant; I've received press releases and correspondence from the biggest companies in the world that are riddled with extra spaces. Some of my best friends are irredeemable two spacers, too, and even my wife has been known to use an unnecessary extra space every now and then (though she points out that she does so only when writing to other two-spacers, just to make them happy).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Feb 2011 06:35 #2 by LopingAlong
Yeah, CG, it's never gonna happen for me either. And I'm trying to get my book published and in working with editors and agents, I have yet to receive that particular criticism! :)

26 Feb 2011 08:39 #3 by major bean
The author has confused typesetting with typewriting. To hell with him.

Regards,
Major Bean

26 Feb 2011 10:05 #4 by 2wlady
In the days of typewriters, if you know what those are, two spaces were used after a period, colon, etc.

Then, when word processing equipment became prevalent, because every byte takes up space, we learned to use just one space, to keep the size of the file down.

Logic, folks, logic.

26 Feb 2011 10:33 #5 by CinnamonGirl
I never learned. LOL

26 Feb 2011 14:31 #6 by 2wlady
On one word processing machine I used, we had cassette tapes that held 25 pages max. So you can see why those bytes added up, space-wise. :sunshine:

26 Feb 2011 20:42 #7 by Sunshine Girl
MLA is one space. I naturally type using two spaces. Ugh!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

26 Feb 2011 21:54 #8 by jf1acai
Habits are a b*tch to break. I'm finally to the point where I rarely use two spaces anymore, but it still happens.

And I won't say anything about 'after a period' :wink:

:oops:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

27 Feb 2011 09:27 #9 by CinnamonGirl
Sorry but I don't have time to try. I wonder if anyone takes issue with it and I still think it is easier to read.

27 Feb 2011 09:38 #10 by major bean
One space text is more difficult to read if it is an equally spaced format such as that of a typewriter. If it is a Word/Excel document it is more difficult because the spacing between letters is not equally spaced but is arranged by the softward and varies between letters within the word. So one space between sentences does not jump out easily and say "Hey, this is a new sentence and not a typo by a fat fingered oaf who accidentally hit a "period" key".

The choice of font also has an effect upon how the structure of the sentences appear. Some fonts do not offer enough distinction between a "comma" and a "period".

Considering all of the typos, misspellings, and butchering of sentence form by the current generation, I feel that acceptance of one space between sentences if merely turning a blind eye to their lack of discipline or conformity.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds