5 Things Not to Say to Someone Who Was Just Laid Off

04 Mar 2011 18:20 #11 by jf1acai

It's still making fun at your unemployed neighbors expense. I'm sure the 1 in 10 people who are unemployed are really getting a laugh out of it.

I do not want to speculate about where your head is located, but the article cited in the OP (and the comments following as nearly as I can determine) is clearly intended to help those who find themselves unemployed, by pointing out things that should NOT be said by friends/associates who wish to help them.

It is easy to unintentionally hurt someone in this situation while meaning to be helpful. The article identified better ways to approach the 5 things it discussed, the responses pointed out several other things which should NOT be said, some of which I have personally heard said to unemployed or underemployed individuals in a misguided attempt to help them.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Mar 2011 19:28 - 05 Mar 2011 07:28 #12 by rldbailey

04 Mar 2011 19:42 #13 by jf1acai
As the posted article stated:

5.) Joking About the Situation

What not to say: “Hey, at least you get to draw unemployment now!”

“You have to acknowledge they are grieving,” says Solovic. “Don’t offhandedly say things like, ‘Oh, it’s the company’s loss,’ because it’s their loss, too, and you can’t diminish that.”

Even if you have been through a situation like this before and bounced back completely, you can’t assume that the person you’re speaking with is ready to joke, warns Solovic. Before you bring levity into the situation, acknowledge the problem.

“If you try to make a joke before the person is ready, you’re just going to antagonize them more.”

The person needs to feel like they were a significant part of her former company, even if she said she hate the company. It’s human nature to take rejection personally, and before any jokes can be made, a sympathetic ear must be offered.

What to say instead: “Have you talked about what all your rights and benefits may be while you’re going through your transition period?"

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

04 Mar 2011 20:11 - 05 Mar 2011 07:26 #14 by rldbailey

04 Mar 2011 20:15 #15 by jf1acai
I give up.

Sorry for living, I won't do it again.

05 Mar 2011 07:36 #16 by rldbailey

jf1acai wrote: I give up.

Sorry for living, I won't do it again.

I have deleted my posts so you can go on living. I realized that I shouldn't have expressed my opinions and/or feelings on the matter as most people aren't interested in a situation and it's negative impact unless it affects them directly.

06 Mar 2011 19:44 #17 by 2wlady
As one who has been laid off before, I appreciated the humor. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but for crying out loud, people, lighten up!

I didn't care to hear people "feeling" for me. I didn't expect it, but it was nice to get some positive ideas and some "fun" to boot!

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds