Welfare State: Handouts Make Up One-Third of U.S. Wages

08 Mar 2011 14:44 #1 by conifermtman
http://www.cnbc.com/id/41969508

Government payouts—including Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance—make up more than a third of total wages and salaries of the U.S. population, a record figure that will only increase if action isn’t taken before the majority of Baby Boomers enter retirement.

Even as the economy has recovered, social welfare benefits make up 35 percent of wages and salaries this year, up from 21 percent in 2000 and 10 percent in 1960, according to TrimTabs Investment Research using Bureau of Economic Analysis data.

This has to end and soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Mar 2011 15:02 #2 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I don't know about you, but I have paid into SS and Medicare for the last 40 years. It's not a handout. what would have those people that need this do? what is YOUR solution? it's not the people's fault that these programs have been robbed by politicians in power to pay out to other political causes. hold the politicians accountable. Please don't take it out on your neighbor.

08 Mar 2011 15:09 #3 by major bean

Wily Weasel wrote: I don't know about you, but I have paid into SS and Medicare for the last 40 years. It's not a handout. what would have those people that need this do? what is YOUR solution? it's not the people's fault that these programs have been robbed by politicians in power to pay out to other political causes. hold the politicians accountable. Please don't take it out on your neighbor.

:yeahthat:

Regards,
Major Bean

08 Mar 2011 16:43 #4 by Local_Historian
What Wily said. Look at the reason it's so high- look at the percentage of our population now over age 67. They get the vast majority of it. And they also paid into the system all their lives.

Consider it like you getting a check today for $50,000 for your lifelong work and your neighbors coming along and taking it away, saying you don't deserve it. Is that gonna sit well with you?

08 Mar 2011 16:43 - 08 Mar 2011 16:43 #5 by Local_Historian
What Wily said. Look at the reason it's so high- look at the percentage of our population now over age 67. They get the vast majority of it. And they also paid into the system all their lives.

Consider it like you getting a check today for $50,000 for your lifelong work, money you had saved up, and your neighbors coming along and taking it away, saying you don't deserve it. Is that gonna sit well with you?

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds