I've got Cowl Fever

18 Mar 2011 17:28 #1 by RivendaleFarms
It started with this post I made last June here on 285bound.com:

On one of the knitting blogs I follow (and yeah, that means there's more than one and this will only get geekier), the author announced a contest to win a very, very yummy skein of Cashmere yarn from France that was in his stash. No real rules, totally subjective on his part, you just had to write why you wanted it and what you were going to do with it. I took the totally selfish approach rather than altruistic because really, if I were to have a $55 skein of cashmere I'm sure not making something to give away. Nope. Part 2 of the saga occurred later in the week on another knitting blog (The Yarn Harlot [url=http://www.yarnharlot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.yarnharlot.com[/url] for anybody who reads her - she's freakin' hysterical if you don't) when Steven of the first blog caused quite a ruckus over the official definition of lace. (Told you this would get geekier!) Over 1200 people jumped in immediately with their opinion - who knew people could feel so strongly about the definition of lace for cryin' out loud - so in a little fit of smart-assedness I posted basically that I would vote for whatever would win me that skein of cashmere over on Steven's blog. http://bitchesgetstitches.net/

Well, Steven read it and I won!! He especially liked that I went against my own principles on what defined lace on his behalf and for completely selfish reasons. He's just twisted enough that I've decided I love him madly. (And yes, the fact that I apparently have principles on the definition of lace has not escaped my notice and scares me just a little bit.)

Compounded by this:

The model is Steven A's dog, Mo. I may be in love with him as well.

Results in this:

Pattern: Pretty Thing cowl by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, pattern is available on Ravelry

That's when the fever started. Next thing you know I'm reading books like Cowlgirls (available at the Knook, of course) and books on lace design and before I know it I'm thinking thoughts like, "I could design a cowl. How hard can it be?" (Those who know me well know that phrase rarely leads to anything good.)

So, the first attempt resulted in this:

Yarn is Cascade EcoDuo, a very soft alpaca/merino blend that I had to have after petting it at the Knook.

Doesn't totally suck, but there are a couple of disclaimers:
1. It will look better after it's blocked, but I was in a hurry at 5am this morning.
2. It would also look better if I hadn't just slapped it on a chair to photograph but, as noted, I was in a hurry at 5am this morning. I'll post a picture later of it on a person instead of a rocking chair.
3. Apparently if one wants a cowl long enough to pull up as a hood, one should measure one's freakin' head before casting off.
4. Even blocking the snot out of this will not make it long enough to pull up as a hood. Really should have measured my head.
5. On the other hand, I accidentally discovered while doubling it up around my neck that a) I should have taken my glasses off before trying this trick and b) doubled up it actually kind of works in the hood position as long as you don't mind your ears held very snugly against your head.

So, I have revised the pattern to address items 2 through 4 and am knitting that version up. Stay tuned. In the meantime, if you happen to like it, it's available at the Knit Knook as a free pattern when you purchase Cascade Eco Duo yarn. Hope to see you at the shop or visit Diane's website at [url=http://www.knitknook.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.knitknook.com[/url]

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Mar 2011 19:45 #2 by FernForestFarm
Replied by FernForestFarm on topic I've got Cowl Fever
Diane has the Cascade EcoDuo @ the Knit Knook in Conifer! I just got a couple of skeins it it is SOOOOO soft! Makes me wanna knit undies out of it :)

19 Mar 2011 05:21 #3 by RivendaleFarms
Replied by RivendaleFarms on topic I've got Cowl Fever
I have this, you can borrow it!

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

19 Mar 2011 06:33 #4 by Kas
Replied by Kas on topic I've got Cowl Fever
"(And yes, the fact that I apparently have principles on the definition of lace has not escaped my notice and scares me just a little bit.)"
:VeryScared:

You scare me. But I did LOVE that yarn!!!!

19 Mar 2011 06:59 #5 by RivendaleFarms
Alpaca and cashmere lingerie, could be a whole new business!
Oh, wait, we were talking about cowls, weren't we? (I'm still not convinced knitterly ADD is a bad thing.)

19 Mar 2011 16:09 #6 by FernForestFarm
Replied by FernForestFarm on topic I've got Cowl Fever

Kas wrote: "(And yes, the fact that I apparently have principles on the definition of lace has not escaped my notice and scares me just a little bit.)"
:VeryScared:

You scare me. But I did LOVE that yarn!!!!

She scares me, too, Kim. But I still love her to death!
I think her next 'cowl post' should be called "Holey Cowl!" One, because they are lace and there ARE holes and two, it's Spring Season Training and Harry Carey should be honored!!

Speaking of which...Who's going to Stitch-N-Pitch this summer? It's onna Friday night!!!
If you want to attend the baseball game and bring your knitting, stop by the Knit Knook on a Saturday morning and ask for Erin (or Sal-don't tell her I signed her up!!--for info. Then, stroll around the store, pick up some yummy-ness yarn and a pattern and join us @ Coors Field for the Annual National Stitch-N-Pitch night! It WILL be freakin' fun!

19 Mar 2011 17:32 #7 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic I've got Cowl Fever
I was just at a craft fair at my local high school. I saw the a crochet booth with the coolest stuff. She had the coolest cowl piece I have ever seen. I really loved her work.

19 Mar 2011 18:04 #8 by RivendaleFarms
CG, did you sneak a picture? Would love to see it!

I think I need to design a manly one and call it Simon Cowl.

19 Mar 2011 18:05 #9 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic I've got Cowl Fever
I wish I had thought of it. :(

19 Mar 2011 18:07 #10 by RivendaleFarms
We're going to have to teach you the art of Kinnearing (sneaking photos with you cell phone from an unobtrusive angle, stealth research baby, stealth research!)

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds