Golden Fire

22 Mar 2011 11:06 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Golden Fire was created by CinnamonGirl
Just got this off the 9news update on Facebook.

* Nearly 1,200 acres have burned
* The fire is 15% contained
* Fire officials expect two single-engine air tankers and two helicopters to be available to fight the fire this morning.
* High winds are expected today, with gusts as high as 75 MPH
* 200 firefighters will be working the fire today, with hand crews arriving from out of state
* A Type 1 incident management team will arrive this evening to take over fire management
We'll have live coverage through the day so tune in to 9NEWS or check our website for complete details.

Picture of Indian Gulch Fire taken Sunday.
Like · · Share
3 people like this.

Post the thread for those that are not on Facebook

Kathy I live just west of Elbert and we can see the smoke from this fire from here. Praying that winds will work FOR the fire fighters and this can be contained soon. Prayers go out to ALL involved.
3 hours ago · Like

Mae Praying for all the Firefighters and being very thankful for the ones coming to help out!!! God please cause the winds to die down completely so the fire can be totally contained.
2 hours ago · Like · 1 person

Chet Kelley I gotta say this fire is SO completly unnessary! I drove out there when I saw the smoke from lakewood, when I got there I saw a sherriff and an ambulance and a ton of people who just sit there for hours watching this fire grow & grow. Now ...See More
2 hours ago · Like

Mike y Rough terrain/canyon wild fires are not just charged into with a hose and a shovel. It takes well-trained personnel and a plan for deployment. Never forget Storm King Mountain. It's hazardous enough for trained personnel to engage; six fingered, well-meaning amateurs can only get into trouble faster than they can get out of. Being critical of law enforcement and others not just jumping in is short-sighted and not very bright, Chet.
2 hours ago · Like

Angie - are you trained for fire retention? My guess is, you aren't. Part of why our economy is where it is at (to use your comparison) is because we had banks doing things in which they were not trained, and we have government buying personal loans as a bail out. Perhaps if everyone focused on doing what they do best, everyone would be better off. Including this fire!
about an hour ago · Like

Anne Hope they're able to get this fire under control quickly.
about an hour ago · Like

9NEWS (KUSA) Update from Jeffco Sheriff: 2 SEATs have dropped fire retardant, headed to reload. 1 helicopter has dropped water, another is expected to be airborne soon.
15 minutes ago · Like

Its so early for a wildfire! I hope everyones homes are ok. Sending out our prayers and Good thoughts for everyone in the area.
6 minutes ago · Like

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Mar 2011 11:40 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Golden Fire
KOA has been playing sound bites from people who aren't allowed to rescue their animals. I hope residents are allowed to get their animals out today. It would take arrest to prevent me from running a roadblock or walking overland to get to my puppies.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Mar 2011 12:39 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Golden Fire

GOLDEN — Sixteen alpacas, in three groups, huddled in the warmth and safety of a big barn today in Golden after their owners evacuated the animals from the Indian Gulch fire.
The alpacas adults, youngsters and even pregnant mothers joined 28 horses that are sheltered at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds, and volunteers expect more animals could join them.
Barb Suggs, of the Jefferson County Horse Council, said animal owners in the Golden Gate Canyon area should be proactive about evacuating livestock, and she encouraged people to bring their animals to the shelter as a precaution, even before an order may force the issue.

Read more: Volunteers in Golden keep animals out of fire's way - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_17672 ... z1HM4n7Be3
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

23 Mar 2011 13:23 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Golden Fire
Can sure smell the forest fire in both Arvada and Lakewood today. Potent winds last night but supposedly they helped out the firefighters by pushing the flames back over already burnt areas.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 Mar 2011 14:02 #5 by chocolove
Replied by chocolove on topic Golden Fire
Can smell it in the tech center as well.

25 Mar 2011 14:16 #6 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Golden Fire
US 6 Through Clear Creek Canyon

March 25, 2011 - Central Eastern Colorado/CDOT Region 1 - JEFFERSON COUNTY – The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) will reopen U.S. 6 through Clear Creek Canyon at 2 p.m. today.

Due to water drops and fire in the canyon area this week – which caused soil, land and vegetation on the canyon walls to wash away or shift – the highway was closed to traffic Wednesday night for firefighting operations.

Today, CDOT evaluated slope conditions and determined rockfall mitigation is not needed at this time and the highway can be reopened between State Highway 93 in Golden and the State Highway 119 junction.

However, there remains a higher than normal potential for rockfall due to the recent firefighting efforts. Drivers are urged to use extra caution if they are planning on using Highway 6.

CDOT will continue to monitor conditions in the canyon. In addition, if the Clear Creek Canyon area experiences rainfall over the next several days, CDOT may close Highway 6 to traffic on short notice to maintain traveler safety and to check for any possible rockfall activity.

If the highway is closed, alternate routes include Interstate 70 to U.S. 6 at the bottom of Floyd Hill (Exit 244), and east to State Highway 119 or the Central City Parkway (Exit 243).

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds