How Living in the Mountains May Affect Your Lifespan

29 Mar 2011 08:57 #1 by CinnamonGirl
A new study has found that people living at higher altitudes have a lower chance of dying from ischemic heart disease and, in fact, might live longer than others. Researchers suspect that lower oxygen levels might switch on certain genes that help muscle function, or that the increased exposure to the sun helps the body synthesize vitamin D better (which might have beneficial effects on some kinds of cancer).

Read more...... http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/d ... n-2469228/

http://a323.yahoofs.com/phugc/HigjdqM9wSLE/photos/f2016d080c30b31f7c59611696a13325/mr_7351701623cf29.jpg?ug_____DpMz_QhSg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Mar 2011 11:22 #2 by Rockdoc
I like the sound of that, but wonder if there are not some offsetting issue too. For example sleep apnea? Is it possible that lower O2 levels can trigger sleep apnea when it's not evident at lower elevations?

29 Mar 2011 11:37 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic How Living in the Mountains May Affect Your Lifespan
I am wondering that as well and we know it affects birth weight.

29 Mar 2011 16:17 #4 by Photo-fish

CinnamonGirl wrote: or that the increased exposure to the sun helps the body synthesize vitamin D better (which might have beneficial effects on some kinds of cancer).

Increased exosure to the sun can promote some forms of cancer as well.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

29 Mar 2011 16:25 #5 by Grady

Photo-fish wrote:

CinnamonGirl wrote: or that the increased exposure to the sun helps the body synthesize vitamin D better (which might have beneficial effects on some kinds of cancer).

Increased exosure to the sun can promote some forms of cancer as well.

I read someplace that trout fishing prevents "some forms of cancer". :biggrin:

29 Mar 2011 17:13 #6 by Photo-fish
As the Czar of Flyfishing, I must say that is mostly true as the best fishing is when the sun is obscured by clouds or that pesky thing sometimes called the horizon.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

29 Mar 2011 20:04 #7 by major bean
Lower levels of oxygen in the bloodstrean at high altitude causes greater ecstacy of orgasm in women.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds