Almost 50 members in 2 weeks!

18 May 2010 17:12 #1 by The Viking
And it still really hasn't gone public. This site is going to be amazing!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 May 2010 18:10 #2 by JRSK
Replied by JRSK on topic Almost 50 members in 2 weeks!
:woo hoo:

22 May 2010 23:37 #3 by conifermtman
76 users!

23 May 2010 03:13 #4 by Rockdoc
I've tried to make it clear on PC that evolution is necessary for survival. Fail and you go the way of the DeSoto, Packard or any number of other analogies. Furthermore there is now a viable alternative (this site)and everyone and I mean everyone on PC who is even slightly disgruntled will find their way here. Frankly, I now have NO reason what-so-ever to go there because of the alternatives. Just one look is all it took for me to know it's the same disturbing environment, lost in monitoring obsession and its justification. Is it risky to go without mentoring, probably, but one must take risks to make gains. The world is passing them by and they don't even see it happening. So the growth here will become exponential as more people join.

It is sad to see some (Xeon) give so much to the site, with so little reward for all his technical efforts. His loyal service certainly deserves recognition. Unfortunately he is so lost in keeping things going, that the very thought of going beyond the old leads to paralysis. What a shame.

23 May 2010 13:59 - 23 May 2010 14:05 #5 by The Viking

Rockdoc wrote: I've tried to make it clear on PC that evolution is necessary for survival. Fail and you go the way of the DeSoto, Packard or any number of other analogies. Furthermore there is now a viable alternative (this site)and everyone and I mean everyone on PC who is even slightly disgruntled will find their way here. Frankly, I now have NO reason what-so-ever to go there because of the alternatives. Just one look is all it took for me to know it's the same disturbing environment, lost in monitoring obsession and its justification. Is it risky to go without mentoring, probably, but one must take risks to make gains. The world is passing them by and they don't even see it happening. So the growth here will become exponential as more people join.

It is sad to see some (Xeon) give so much to the site, with so little reward for all his technical efforts. His loyal service certainly deserves recognition. Unfortunately he is so lost in keeping things going, that the very thought of going beyond the old leads to paralysis. What a shame.

Was going to try not to talk negative on here but I have to jump in on one point here RockDoc. I am not sure if Xenon is a friend of yours but I can name you at least a dozen people or more who feel his attitude is a perfect example of one of the main problems on that site. You can not have someone who is in such control on a site who is belittling people all the time and constantly cutting others down and still try and make it feel like it is a site that is welcoming to everyone. Many people felt that he was very unprofessional and yet he still wanted respect and constant praise for all he did. I am not trying to take away from the work that he did as I know it was a daunting challenge. But personalities like that are what make people feel unwelcome, uncomfortable, and make them want to leave a site.

That is another reason that the energy on this site is so much more positive. It is actually fun to come here and be with friends and neighbors and not worry not only about having your posts always erased, being scolded, cut down by Mods, suspended or banned, but also just knowing that the people who started this site really do listen to you and care about what you say and will take into consideration your thoughts and suggestions rather that telling you to be quiet and stop questioning their authority.

23 May 2010 14:04 #6 by The Viking
I was in the mountains this weekend and with friends and I come back and in the last two day this site grew 25 more people? This is awesome! I am so proud of you guys for really taking the time and effort to create such a great site! Thanks again!

23 May 2010 14:14 #7 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Almost 50 members in 2 weeks!

The Viking wrote:

Rockdoc wrote: I've tried to make it clear on PC that evolution is necessary for survival. Fail and you go the way of the DeSoto, Packard or any number of other analogies. Furthermore there is now a viable alternative (this site)and everyone and I mean everyone on PC who is even slightly disgruntled will find their way here. Frankly, I now have NO reason what-so-ever to go there because of the alternatives. Just one look is all it took for me to know it's the same disturbing environment, lost in monitoring obsession and its justification. Is it risky to go without mentoring, probably, but one must take risks to make gains. The world is passing them by and they don't even see it happening. So the growth here will become exponential as more people join.

Was going to try not to talk negative on here but I have to jump in on one point here RockDoc. I am not sure if Xenon is a friend of yours but I can name you at least a dozen people or more who feel his attitude is a perfect example of one of the main problems on that site. You can not have someone who is in such control on a site who is belittling people all the time and constantly cutting others down and still try and make it feel like it is a site that is welcoming to everyone. Many people felt that he was very unprofessional and yet he still wanted respect and constant praise for all he did. I am not trying to take away from the work that he did as I know it was a daunting challenge. But personalities like hat are what make people want to leave a site.

That is another reason that the energy on this site is so much more positive. It is actually fun to come here and be with friends and neighbors and not worry not only about having your posts always erased, being scolded, cut down by Mods, suspended or banned, but also just knowing that the people who started this site really do listen to you and care about what you say and will take into consideration your thoughts and suggestions rather that telling you to be quiet and stop questioning their authority.

I'm sure Xenon works very hard and has the best intentions, but I would not want him ,with his attitude, to be my "volunteer fireman". If you take a job paid or volunteer , you made a commitment to do the job, period. No excuses , Do a labor of love or quit

23 May 2010 14:26 #8 by Wayne Harrison
285Bound owes a lot to Pinecam. They have a living example of what NOT to do. I'm gratified that 285Bound is learning from PC's mistakes.

As for the "walk a mile in my shoes" comment over there in response to questioning about the site.... brother, many of the people here have. Many of the people here now are tossed away volunteers of PC.

I respect Xenon a lot. He is (was?) a friend of mine. He is the current Tillerbee. She did more behind the scenes for PC than anyone except Kurt. She worked tirelessly and cared for the site, both in her thoughts and in her deeds, all while dealing with immense personal tribulations in her family. When she questioned the treatment I was getting she was "marked" and they blew her off. Even though she worked harder than anyone on Pinecam she was never offered a position on the board of directors. She finally gave up in disgust.

As Xenon said, the site is crippled technically. He's putting his finger in all the leaks so Cos can brag they had 2,000 people log on and the site didn't go down. A number of people that are here now offered to help but their help was refused. I used to manage the Google AdSense account for PC long after I left. I reported every month on revenue and "tweaked" the ads daily to make sure PC was getting the maximum exposure. I used to post a monthly report outlining what the revenue stream was doing. I don't think a few people on the board wanted the mods and admins to know those details. My access to the back rooms was eventually cut off and I quit taking care of the AdSense account (which was still under my name). When the FB fiasco happened, I gave PC notice I was closing my account and they would have to come up with their own Google Ads account, which they did.

Notice how many Public Service Announcements (aka non-paid ads) are showing up on PC now? Apparently no one is taking care of Google AdSense any more. It's going to a be a big financial wake-up call when they get much smaller-than-expected checks from Google. The server they are on isn't inexpensive.

Did you know that if you don't set up your filters correctly on Google AdSense a competitor can buy a Google AdWords ad and advertise on your website? I actually did that once (didn't have anything to do with PC or up here) Those of you who know me will probably not find that surprising.

23 May 2010 18:18 #9 by LopingAlong
I think of Kurt and TillerBee often--though I've never met either. The work and dedication they put in was outstanding and TB in particular will always have a soft spot in my heart. She was so supportive to me and the community in general. I am forever grateful.

23 May 2010 19:09 #10 by Rockdoc
There are always jewels whose bright light pierces the darkness around them. We as a species are drawn to light, so it only seems appropriate that every jewel among us truly be appreciated and recognized. It's happening here now, but we are a presumptuous lot. Perhaps we should find ways of publicly acknowledging the people who toil among us, perhaps set up a thread where their contributions can be made known and acknowledged? So this question is not for the people who work so hard but the rest of us. Many who work shy away from recognition.

My last check on the membership count was at 95. The numbers joining are great, but most important is that we continue to grow as family, not as a collection of misfits. It's up to all of us to make that happen. Let this site become a forum paradigm for communities everywhere.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds