IMHS February Meeting Notes

17 Feb 2012 09:56 #1 by ScienceChic
My apologies, all I have are my own notes for now, and scans of the financial report documents that were handed out. For some reason, my movie software has been unable to upload the video that I recorded of last night's meeting so I will have to try something else later when I get back home (heading up to Bailey to help out at the new Mountain Peace Shelter - come on over and join me!). If there's anything I forgot, or made a mistake on, please feel free to correct me if you attended.

The big news from last night is that the Surgical Suite is officially completed and open for business! Although completed behind schedule, it was well under budget thanks to several generous donations of expensive equipment. The first surgeries are scheduled for this weekend, and they are hoping to schedule an open house when everyone is welcome to come in and see the new set-up.

January was projected to operate at a $697.23 loss (figuring in completing the surgical suite), but they actually had a $2,172.71 profit, due to unexpected donations by members/the community and of equipment to finish the surgical room.

IMHS Monthly Meeting 2/16/12

New business moved and approved by board since last meeting:
Approved vacation benefits for staff
Slight change to membership levels, removed couples and opted to have family membership instead
Brandy - train as shelter associate to cover for Marta and Karen if they take vacation time
$150 approved for 285 Tourism Map ad, two other directors are splitting cost to bump it up to double ad

Shelter manager January report (animal intake & out):
In and out report
51 animals came in in January, owner-surrendered and strays, transfers
1 dog returned from adoption
Total animals out - 44
31 animals in inventory at the end of January (offsite, foster, & shelter)
Offsite: Crestline Petsmart & Petco, County Line Petsmart & Petco

Shelter Director Update
Still getting money in from January appeal, and Christmas appeal
Membership awards getting good feedback, signs created to help raise awareness
New membership cards will be sent out once a week from here on out, Steve will change software program to have card generated concurrently with new member welcome letter.
Conifer council town hall meeting - attended last night, raised $30 in donations, positive feedback from attendees afterwards
Safety Fair - invitation to attend, will do so in August
Website changes - new vision and missions statement, volunteer opportunities

Shelter operations - working on job descriptions
Canine temperament assessment form
Volunteers - doubled # of helpers in last month (11 new), elevating quality of life for animals in shelter, also getting volunteers for Thrift Store
Added Volunteer sign-in book to better track volunteer hours. Also need to track hours spent at shelter for Board Members
Business card holder for volunteers, donors

Operations Committee Update
Surgery Suite - officially open! First surgery this weekend!
Late in schedule, but under-budget
Plan an Open House, press release, announcements on message boards

Fundraising Commitee
Prizes for fundraiser - 5 prizes vailable, will give away at members meeting in May
Grand Prize: 46" LED TV, 120Hz, 1080p HDTV
Kindle Fire: retail value $300
World Tour of Wine: retail value $250
Gift card for King Soopers: retail value $150
Cash: $100

Renewed raffle license, tickets ready to be printed as soon as raffle ID received
A person selling tickets has to be an active member, should be able to start selling tickets in 2 weeks

Membership meeting:
Not doing a potluck dinner. Want to really get a lot of people attending/participating. Will give away raffle prizes that night.
Will begin offering Associate Membership level: get benefit card, no voting rights, must actively volunteer. Need to decide how many hours must be completed to qualify for associate membership

Grant Writing Committee Update
Nothing new coming in
Request going out next week to Loretta Boyd (?) Foundation
Now eligible for spay/neuter grants now that surgical suite is open - Operations Committee will send wish list of items in order of priority with cost of each item so they can apply for money to buy specific items. Dental equipment #1 on list.

Finance Committee Update
Treasurer Report - see handouts
Change Wendy and Deb's access to Shelter Director's/Shelter Manager's In/Out monthly report to add another level of financial control - those in charge of books can't modify adoptions to hide incoming money. Shelter Director or Shelter Manager to print report by end of first week of month for previous month to give to Finance Committee Board members. Steve to modify their access in ASM software.

Wendy Personal Statement to address recent public comments/observations
117 adoptions recorded with no matching deposit recorded in bank statements.
Gift cards missing that were known to be in IMHS's possession
Checks from thrift store missing for purchased items
Petty cash unaccounted for
Personal charges on IMHS credit card still not reimbursed

Open Business
Legal issue - sheriff has released the report, IMHS has first copy, if anyone would like to review it, please call IMHS to schedule an appointment with Steve Kelsey. Everyone is encouraged to come in.
No copies of documents can be made, nor can it be removed from the shelter,
it must be reviewed with someone present,
and a confidentiality agreement must be signed in order to protect the names of adopters.

Still considering how to proceed with civil lawsuit

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds