Letter to the Community from the IMHS Shelter Director

08 Aug 2013 17:31 #1 by IMHS
Dear Friends and IMHS Supporters,

With a very heavy heart, I have turned in my resignation to IMHS. I discovered in recent months that my mother has become ill and I am relocating to Texas to help care for her. I am SO grateful that I have had the opportunity to be part of IMHS, and this compassionate community.

As someone who has spent decades working to solve the companion animal overpopulation crisis, I want to share with you some unique attributes of this mountain community that position it (you) to impact on the regional homeless cat and dog problem.

First is the kind attitude of such a broad number of residents. If an appeal for help for the shelter animals is posted, people arrive in short order toting pet food, cat litter, cleaning supplies, or to offer a professional service for free (including grooming services and veterinary care!). Volunteers have stepped up in increased numbers to help with dog and cat enrichment to elevate the quality of life for shelter animals, transport animals to offsite events and vet appointments, work in the Second Chance Thrift Shop, create displays for events, sell raffle tickets, and so much more...many of those volunteers are young people who should inspire all of us through their compassionate action. Local businesses give funds, services, and time to help the animals. IMHS can also do more for animals today than in previous periods because more individuals are reaching into their hearts and giving monetary donations that are critical to pay for the programs that help animals.

Another tremendous asset that helps animals and people here is agency collaboration. While some communities are torn apart on that old "kill versus no-kill" argument of the past decade, which isn't helpful and only serves to create division between otherwise like-minded agencies and individuals, greater Denver and the Foothills has sheltering agencies working together on effective solutions (including strategic transfers between shelters to help increase adoptions and lower euthanasia)that move us closer to the day when we can place every homeless animal into a responsible lifetime home. We’re moving ahead every year regionally, even as human population increases! Not just the Metro Denver Shelter Alliance, but our friends at Park County Animal Control and the Conour Animal Shelter too.

Local veterinary clinics including Family Veterinary Hospital in Evergreen, Aspen Creek Veterinary Hospital, and the kind staff at Lone Rock Veterinary Hospital in Bailey have all given free or discounted services that have helped IMHS save animals (or prevent births of homeless animals). What a big-hearted community!

The IMHS Board of Directors (including past members who gave SO much of themselves) is deeply committed to moving IMHS forward to provide even more assistance to animals in need and to engaging people who want to promote kindness to animals. I've been enormously privileged to work with such dedicated people and to have received their support in our united work for animals. I envisioned myself at IMHS longer, and wish I could be here to see future plans come to fruition.

IMHS has a staff of deeply caring, hard-working people who bring diverse skills to our efforts to help animals, and will help the agency improve our services. I will be here through next few weeks of transition, and want to you to know that just as it has been every day I’ve been here, and every day after I’m gone, the focus will remain on the animals whom we serve. I have received many kind words in the time I’ve been with you...please note that nothing can make me happier than support from anyone who appreciates my contributions to animals than to see you give even more to IMHS.

On behalf of the animals we serve, and from the bottom of my heart, thank you!

Marta Anderson
Shelter Director
LIKE us on Facebook!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Aug 2013 19:02 #2 by deltamrey
You will be missed....thanks from a fellow Texan.......

08 Aug 2013 21:36 #3 by ScienceChic
Oh Marta, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. Sending healing thoughts her way. You have been an enormous asset to IMHS and you will be greatly missed - especially your positive, friendly, professional, can-do-anything attitude that is ever-present! Best wishes to you and your family, I know wherever you land that organization will benefit immensely. Safe journey!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

17 Aug 2013 13:37 #4 by JMC
Marta sorry for your troubles and wish you the best. Thanks for all you did.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds