× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

They're crying in Ohio right now...

30 May 2011 15:26 #1 by ScienceChic
http://www.scholarsandrogues.com/2011/0 ... n-the-usa/
Tressel out at Ohio State: whatever happened to fair play in the USA?
by Samuel Smith
Posted on May 30, 2011

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Jim Tressel, who guided Ohio State to its first national title in 34 years, resigned Monday amid NCAA violations from a tattoo-parlor scandal that sullied the image of one of the country’s top football programs.

“After meeting with university officials, we agreed that it is in the best interest of Ohio State that I resign as head football coach,” Tressel said in a statement released by the university.

Tressel and school administrators have been wriggling and squirming for months now, clearly hoping that a variety of self-imposed half-measures would ward off NCAA investigators and overly interested reporters. Still, it seemed like it was only a matter of time before Tressel was forced out. Today was that time. The decision may have been forced by a looming Sports Ilustrated feature, due to drop as early as this this evening, which is expected to throw even more gasoline on the flames.

I suppose none of us are surprised, either by the Ohio State case or by the general level of dishonesty in all forms of competition. Our culture valorizes winning above all else. While this is probably true of all cultures, I wonder if we’re not worse than most when it comes to our contempt for the loser.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jun 2011 10:03 #2 by FredHayek
It's not cheating if you don't get caught?

USC just had to surrender a national title from 2004. And even the Broncos when they won the Super Bowls admitted to being over the salary cap and they had to pay fines.

So it this worse than Lance Armstrong?

If you're not cheating, you aren't trying...

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds