× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

Clemens' perjury trial begins

07 Jul 2011 02:30 #1 by Rockdoc
Roger Clemens claims he never used performance-enhancing drugs during his career, in which he won a record seven Cy Young awards.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/b ... z1RPFIGUNA

I have this feeling Roger believes if he is steadfast in his denial, even in the face of others (Peddit) implicating him, that he will prevail. In fact, I think he has reached the point where he believes his own lies. Without knowing anything beyond what has been published, I still think he was involved with drugs. Do you?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jul 2011 15:36 #2 by FredHayek
I think Roger started doing drugs after the Red Sox gave up on him. He was willing to go to the juice to revive his flagging career and show Boston that they made a mistake.

But since he was on 'roids pitching against batters on 'roids I don't think it should be a federal case, even if he lied about it.

BTW, I would put Clemons and Bonds both in the Hall of Fame because they were still awesome players before they started doing the juice.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

13 Jul 2011 15:57 #3 by ScienceChic
Involved with drugs, oh yeah.

Will trying and convicting him do anything to deter athletes now? Nope.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

13 Jul 2011 20:05 #4 by Rockdoc
I sure agree with that SC. Pursing Clemens with a congressional committee is a waste of time and money. And I fail to see what good will come out of it besides either finding hi guilty (likely) or not guilty. He's no longer playing, so aside for jail time, how are you going to hurt him? I also don't think jail will do much other than be an embarrassment for him and his family. That is not just punishment. (Do you get the feeling I think he is guilty?) Yes that.

Perhaps the root of the problem is much like alcohol during the prohibition days. People want it and went to all means to get what they want. Legislate against it and you go against the people, you will fail. Our bodies are chemical factories and we use all kinds of drugs to keep them going and improve "health". Performance enhancing drugs are no different, it allows our bodies to function even better than they do now. Who knows, legalized use may even lead to discoveries that benefit all of mankind.

13 Jul 2011 22:11 #5 by Hoot Owl
Why is Congress involved in a sporting activity? Are there not bigger fish to fry?

14 Jul 2011 10:03 #6 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Clemens' perjury trial begins
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/67686 ... NHeadlines

Breaking: Mistrial ruled in Roger Clemens case

14 Jul 2011 12:52 #7 by FredHayek
What I find interesting is how steroids is a big bad bogeyman, but previous to this, the teams used to provide greenies, (speed pills) to players in the 60's, 70's and 80's. I would think those would be preformance enhancing but no one talks about keeping the players from those eras out of the hall of fame.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Jul 2011 03:38 #8 by Rockdoc
THe whole thing has reached ridiculous proportions. Since public awareness escalated with the drug revelations of cycling and later olympic sports, baseball, etc. more self righteous types (congress) continues to stick their head into the use of drugs. I suppose it is a pretty low-risk political playing field. It's a chance to get lots of publicity at the expense of an athlete and no risk of your own other than an investment of time. It's totally out of whack. Yes, Hoot owl, our politicians certainly have much more important things they ought to be concentrating on instead of sports, be it drugs or NFL labor negotiations.

I suppose one good thing about the mistrial is that it puts a temporary end to the political posturing. It's far from over though in the long run.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds