× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

"Joy and agony of a champion," Sydney Morning Herald

25 Jul 2011 02:40 #1 by Rockdoc
In this day and age of mega egos and me first attitudes in sports it is truly refreshing an emotionally moving to see a genuine and humble sports figure as in Cedel Evans. Most of you like did not watch the tour de France, given it is cycling, something many frown upon up here. That is unfortunate, since you missed not only much competitive drama, but also the reactions of a wonderful quiet-spoken man who conquered 22 bike stages that saw much drama.

AS Cadel Evans stood on the Tour de France dais this morning as the first Australian winner of the revered event, his emotions were divided: by joy for making a dream come true, relief for having ridden a near-perfect race and sorrow for a lost dear friend.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/c ... z1T6U5L1s4

His sorrow rests in his loss of "...Aldo Sassi, his Italian trainer, mentor and dear friend who died last December from a brain tumor." And who would not have anyone who believes in you become special. "It was Aldo Sassi who believed in me,'' Evans said, his eyes glistening. ''He often believed in me more than I did.''

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/c ... z1T6Yiyye1

Another moment I found exceptionally touching was the emotion written on his face when they played the Australian national anthem during the awards ceremony. He stood there straining to keep the tears in his eyes from flowing down his cheeks. Here stood a joyful but humble man, proud of representing his country so well. It wasn't so much about Cadel as it was about others. During those brief unguarded moments we had a chance to see who Cadel Evans is; a talented fantastic human being. I'm enriched for having had the opportunity to witness this event. This is what sports are all about to my way of thinking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jul 2011 02:46 #2 by ScienceChic
That's a wonderful story to read, thanks Rockdoc. I don't watch the Tour, but have tremendous respect for anyone who can complete that grueling course - testing the limits of human endurance and capabilities is such an incredible yet inherent universal trait!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds