× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

Longest tennis match in history is going on now.

23 Jun 2010 14:12 #11 by The Viking

CinnamonGirl wrote: 59-59 I think they are going to call it for the night. Someone is going to die if they let this go. But tomorrow may be even harder.

I know, I can't imagine them trying to get up tomorrow. And Isner had it in the last game. Match Point and he blew it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jun 2010 14:14 #12 by The Viking
When will it be continued? I need to record it.

24 Jun 2010 08:40 #13 by The Viking
It is getting ready to resume soon. Gotta run but am recording it.

24 Jun 2010 19:12 #14 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Longest tennis match in history is going on now.
So Viking, Did you watch it? Unbelievable. I sure love Wimbledon. I am so worried about Roger.

24 Jun 2010 20:35 #15 by Rockdoc
I watched the conclusion of this match this morning. It concluded 70/68 Isner. I thought Isner looked rather tiered, like he did not recover well overnight, yet he was the one who won. Additionally, I thought Wimbledon did right in presenting both with special mementos. It was an unbelievable match. I've played in some long single matches before but none lasted more than 6 hours. Those matches took a lot out of me, so I can only imagine what it was like to play competitive tennis for ten hours straight. Mentally it is as tough as physically.

I strongly suspect that Isner will have trouble in the second round, if for no reason other than fatigue.

Roger is battling. He has had a much more challenging time than during the years of his domination. We shall see if the testing is a good or bad omen. He certainly will be mentally ready.

24 Jun 2010 20:40 #16 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Longest tennis match in history is going on now.
I will never forget the Nadal Roger match as long as I live. That guy is a class act all the way. Where was he when I was his age?

It was sad to sad to see Mahut lose because he hung in there for so long. They both deserved that win.

24 Jun 2010 22:30 #17 by Rockdoc
lol He probably is out there somewhere waiting for you.

An epic match like that has no losers in reality. I'm certain Mahut does not feel that way, but he will be in the record books for a long long time, I do believe and that ought to soften the loss a little in the years to come. Competitive sports is not kind when it comes to winers and losers. It is, in fact, much like evolution, it just is. There is no emotion only a winner and a loser. We are the ones who project the emotions into it. We are the ones who feel the pain of loosing a match.

Now let us vicariously live Wimbeldon through Roger. I've always admired how he tames his emotions so well during a match and then allows it to show later.

BTW, while we are on the subject of class acts, I was a little disappointed in how Isner handled his win. I thought for one he could have done much better in acknowledging the tenacity of his opponent. He is the winner after all and he could have done much to help soften the loss of such an epic battle. Certainly, Roger would have done that, but that is what sets him apart from many others.

24 Jun 2010 22:32 #18 by CinnamonGirl
Rockdoc, I noticed that too. But I am thinking he was just caught up in the moment.

25 Jun 2010 07:59 #19 by Rockdoc
And as expected, there was nothing left in the tank. Isner is ousted in the second round.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... VMUN9J.DTL

25 Jun 2010 08:02 #20 by Rockdoc

CinnamonGirl wrote: Rockdoc, I noticed that too. But I am thinking he was just caught up in the moment.

I think you are being charitable. It's hard to relate to the feelings such a match evokes in the player, but one would think there would be admiration for your opponent, not to mention praise. We shall see if Isner does come up with a few kind words other than Nic and I will always share that match.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds