× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

NFL HGH testing

14 Oct 2011 18:50 #1 by Rockdoc
NFL HGH testing was created by Rockdoc
NFL, union differ on HGH testing deal. You can already see the dancing with one excuse after another. According to ESPN

The latest collective bargaining agreement between the league and its players includes a provision to begin testing players for HGH -- contingent on the union agreeing to the testing methods. The NFLPA has asked for more scientific data to prove the most popular test is reliable.

Ya right. I can understand the methods concern in terms of when and where they get tested. What is baffling is questioning whether the test is reliable, an obvious stall tactic. I think cycling worked out the whole question of reliability and methodology a long time ago.

My suspicion is that there is a lot of drug use going on within the NFL and this attempts to delay its exposure. It's the same old story. Competitors looking for an advantage and others insisting they cheat by turning to drugs. The problem is fundamental and universal. You will never be able to legislate what people do as individuals. Not until its left to an individual to decide on what they do. Like booze and prohibition, drug use will not be beaten into submission in sports as there will always be someone who comes up with a new and ingenious way to beat the system.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Oct 2011 18:57 #2 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic NFL HGH testing
Whats the "drug" doctors most perscribe for themselves? HGH...The stuff is great, the fountain of youth. How do you think I still party like a Rock Star everynight?

You're gettin a little long in the tooth RD, if anybody needs it, you do, especially with that young wife of yours

19 Oct 2011 21:24 #3 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic NFL HGH testing
Talk about dragging your feet with one lame excuse after another. The NFL player's union gives lip service to drug testing specifically human growth hormone. Now the following statement.

One of the key items the NFLPA is seeking is a population study of the test - the data from the athletes who were used to originally set thresholds as to what constitutes a positive test. The union wants to compare that data to a population study on football players; the union believes players could have naturally higher HGH levels above those of other athletes.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... z1bHvgz5xR

Talk about BS. First of all, HGH testing has been done for years and we had some rather high profile cases in Cycling, a sport everyone claims is loaded with drug cheats. Frankly, they are the only sport (other than the Olympics) where extensive drug testing is done all the time. Of course football wants to keep it's clean image by not agreeing to testing. You can't be called out if you do not get tested. Take one look at the builds you see in football and baseball and you can see the affect of HGH. The fundamental problem remains. There is so much resistance to drug testing, many do it with the intent of beating the system even when drug testing exists, so why not level the playing field and make it legal? Players still have a choice to use or not use drugs, but at least it does away with the pitiful posturing and dishonesty. MHO

19 Oct 2011 21:59 #4 by Argyle
Replied by Argyle on topic NFL HGH testing
I don't think that the NFL wants HGH out of the game, any more than the NFLPA does, or the fans do. It makes football better, and makes them more money. It will take a tragedy before they get serious about this issue. Kind of like WWE.

19 Oct 2011 22:37 #5 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic NFL HGH testing
Maybe. I still think football can be great without all that "performance enhancement". You don't need growth hormone to have good instincts and talent to play. And the rules can always be modified to make it more or less exciting (as we're seeing this year with all the touchbacks - that's gotta get fixed).

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

19 Oct 2011 23:06 #6 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic NFL HGH testing
If you take the stance that HGH is good for football I want to know in what way? Steroids clearly have their place in recovery from injury, but the discriminant use imbalances the playing field. The guy on HGH has a competitive advantage over a non user. Would the sport not be just as good if everyone competed on an equal footing as opposed to one man flattening another because of unequal footing. Are we fooling ourselves in believing that the savage hits with so many concussions are exciting? Plus we all know about the shortened life span of those bruising linemen, not to mention the steroid boy example of Lyle Alzado who blamed his cancer death on consistent illegal steroid use. Just a thought.

20 Oct 2011 10:11 #7 by UNDER MODERATION
You're very nieve..They are all on it and everything else they can get away with...HGH occurs naturally in the body. HGH is just a little more of what you already got and everybodies doin it. And Obviously Tim Tebow has obviously been abusing it-

20 Oct 2011 10:13 #8 by UNDER MODERATION

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Earning a reputation as troublemaker, a round peg in a square hole, as someone who see things differently and is not fond of rules is good. Respect for the status quo? What warrants that? People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

You talking about me Roc?

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds