× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

NFL Pays Concussion Damaged Players Almost 1 Billion Dollars

29 Aug 2013 15:41 #1 by FredHayek
Wow. This is huge.
Good to see this money going to former players with Alzheimers and other mental issues but how will this change the game? Will we see the end of tackle football? Or will the NFL just make the new players sign waivers to prevent these lawsuits in the future?

And what about colleges and universities? Do they owe their former players billions too? There are hundreds of college football teams with many more players than the NFL's 53.
I could see lawsuits bankrupting many smaller programs since this precedent has been sent.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Aug 2013 15:49 #2 by ScienceChic
I think if you chose to play this sport, you need to be informed of the potential harm that can come with the regular physical rigors of the game. That being said, anyone who didn't think there's been brain damage happening all this time was fooling themselves.

I too see lawsuits. I like the game the way it is though so I hope it doesn't become wussified in an effort to make it safer.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Aug 2013 18:52 #3 by UNDER MODERATION

FredHayek wrote: Wow. This is huge!!!!

And what about colleges and universities? Do they owe their former players billions too?

You're an idiot- And in one paragraph 750 million turned into billions? The players got screwed. Theyll get 170k each paid out over 20 years to pay medical bills...thats less than 10k a year? My wife went to the emergency room for 2 hours, they didn't find anything wrong with her and its costs 14k-

The NFL is going to make 10 billion dollars alone this year and its estimated to make 25 billion in 2015- each franchise is worth at least billion dollars, some of them 2 billion and its costing each team only 24 million dollars over 20 years!?

C'mon! Do you ever thinks things out Fred? The glasses will be clinking at the next owners meeting

#itsnothuge

30 Aug 2013 08:27 #4 by FredHayek
I am extrapolating, if the NFL with a much fewer number of players has to pay 750 million, there are thousands more college players. Do they start a lawsuit to get medical help too?
All-Americans suffering from Alzheimers after Woody Hayes made them hit each other helmet to helmet in all day practices. Might be pretty sympathetic. And college players didn't have a union to protect them. Bankrupt the NCAA? Will smaller colleges stop playing football?

And what about all the concussion victims of the Carnation Bowl? Some of them can't think straight years later, but continue to post.

And this will change the game of football, less tackling at the shoulder to take people down, more tackling at the knees. Careers are going to be much shorter. It used to be considered uncool to tackle other players that way, but better than paying the penalty for helmet to helmet hits, and why risk bashing your
own brains in?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

30 Aug 2013 08:30 #5 by ScienceChic

FredHayek wrote: <snip>
And what about all the concussion victims of the Carnation Bowl? Some of them can't think straight years later, but continue to post.

<snip>

:rofllol Oooh, he got you good there VL! ROFLMAO :biggrin: :wave:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

30 Aug 2013 23:16 #6 by pineinthegrass
I get brain damage just reading some posts on message boards.

Yes, it was voluntary on my part, but damn, I need some damages for all I've put up with! :idea:

30 Aug 2013 23:31 #7 by Blazer Bob

pineinthegrass wrote: I get brain damage just reading some posts on message boards.

Yes, it was voluntary on my part, but damn, I need some damages for all I've put up with! :idea:

I will join you in a class action suit.

31 Aug 2013 06:44 #8 by homeagain
Make it a trio......my head HURTS from all the drama on the boards.....now I must return to
my re-modeling project because the weather won't remain nice for long..... tongue:

31 Aug 2013 06:46 #9 by homeagain

Vice Lord wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Wow. This is huge!!!!

And what about colleges and universities? Do they owe their former players billions too?

You're an idiot- And in one paragraph 750 million turned into billions? The players got screwed. Theyll get 170k each paid out over 20 years to pay medical bills...thats less than 10k a year? My wife went to the emergency room for 2 hours, they didn't find anything wrong with her and its costs 14k-

The NFL is going to make 10 billion dollars alone this year and its estimated to make 25 billion in 2015- each franchise is worth at least billion dollars, some of them 2 billion and its costing each team only 24 million dollars over 20 years!?

C'mon! Do you ever thinks things out Fred? The glasses will be clinking at the next owners meeting

#itsnothuge

ACTUALLY, VL is correct.....the rehab/medical path that the players will require is FAR more
than what they will get as a settlement.....they short-changed themselves....JMO

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds