× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

NFL to use tracking chips on players

04 Aug 2014 09:23 #1 by otisptoadwater
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/33684/file-1362867266-jpg/8.1.14_touchdown_nfl_and_zebra_.jpg?t=1406926916590

Football fans may want to keep an eye on this development: The NFL announced this week that it will be using RFID tracking chips on players during select games in the 2014 season. The high-tech chips — RFID stands for radio-frequency identification — will generate precise positioning data on each player on every play.

For the initial rollout, the RFID system will be used in 17 of the NFL’s 31 stadiums. (Astute sports fans will note that the NFL has 32 teams, but the Giants and the Jets share the MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.) When squaring off in these stadiums, players will actually be tracked by two RFID chips — one in each shoulder pad. Data is broadcast in real-time to provide information on positioning, velocity, direction, distance run and even force-of-impact.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/08/04/nfl-to-use-tracking-chips-on-players/?intcmp=latestnews

This story wins the Official Otis P. Toadwater Worst Headline EVER award for 2014!

So now all of you statistics obsessed people will have a whole new suite of data to work with before, during and after the games.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Aug 2014 09:25 - 04 Aug 2014 09:26 #2 by FredHayek
Wow. Technology can be very cool and a little scary too. Will NFL coaches also use these tracking chips to see when players are staying out too long on game nights? :P

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds