× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

The XFL Starts Today!

08 Feb 2020 15:41 #1 by FredHayek
Watched the first game and for the most part I liked the product. The game appears to go faster than the NFL and the rules are set up to favor the offense. They do have a bevy of changes that will take a little while to get used to. One that I like? No point after kick. Instead the team that just got a touchdown gets to run another play. They can score 1-3 points on the point after, depending on how far away you set up from the goal line. Only got to see one point attempts today, but a number of them failed which increases the drama.
Some of the players are former NFL talent which is nice, Rahim Moore, ex Bronco caught two interceptions.
Final take? I think this should work. A lot of big money is behind this, including multiple networks like ESPN, ABC, and Fox. They play in smaller soccer stadiums so the places look full. For a lot of sports fans, February and March are dead zones. NBA and NHL are still in the regular season with way too many games. A few XFL games on the weekend should find an audience.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Feb 2020 18:48 #2 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic The XFL Starts Today!
I watch football on TV because it is live. That means that errors happen. The XFL provided that aspect in addition Interceptions, juggling catches, sacks, etc, all in real time. I agree that they have the opportunity to fill a void between the start of baseball season and the end of the NFL season. Sorry, but BB doesn't cut it for me unless i tune in at the last minute to see the game ; until then it is an exhibit of athleticism on the part of the individual players. i am sure that I am missing the nuances of strategy, my fault.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds