× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

SPORTS TEAMS - NAME CHANGES

15 Jul 2020 06:33 #1 by ramage
Here is an interesting comment from the son of the designer of the Redskins logo.

The modern logo, by the way, the noble face seen in profile since George Allen’s arrival in 1971, was designed by Walter “Blackie” Wetzel, raised on the Blackfeet Reservation in Montana, rising to the presidency of the National Congress of American Indians. His son Lance, contacted by a Washington TV station, is crestfallen: “It takes away from the Native Americans. When I see that logo, I take pride in it. You look at the depiction of the Redskins logo and it’s of a true Native American. I always felt it was representing my people.”

townhall.com 7/14/20 Mark Davis

I can envision the local PETA branches demanding that CU drop the Buffalos and CSU to do likewise with the moniker Rams.
WY is already under fire for the nickname Cowboys. It is considered sexist by a professor at the University of Wyoming.
From the washingtonexaminer.com 7/10/18
The University of Wyoming Committee on Women and People of Color sent a letter to University President Laurie Nichols, asking that the university “shelve that slogan and find another one that represents the diversity of people and cultures that we have, and want to have, as UW.”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jul 2020 06:41 - 16 Aug 2020 20:21 #2 by homeagain
My understanding was the native Americans APPROVED of the namesake and it was not an issue.
So, for this to now become a problem is a head scratch-er....we need to get back to a more BALANCED
mindset on how we perceive each other....jmo

15 Jul 2020 16:23 #3 by ramage
Attachments:

20 Jul 2020 14:00 #4 by FredHayek
Mutual of Omaha decided to replace their Native American logo even though no one asked them to.

So another symbol of the true founders of America disappears.

Cleveland Indians are working on a name change too. I would love to see them change it to a tribe that lived in the area. The Chicago Blackhawks declare they will keep their logo proudly.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Jul 2020 21:27 #5 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic SPORTS TEAMS - NAME CHANGES
Let's remove all vestiges of any reference to Indians. Are we trying to remove their memory?
What will replace these representations of Indians \?

Will we not longer be able to shout Geronimo when parachuting ?

16 Aug 2020 17:51 #6 by HEARTLESS
In keeping with the city of Washington, D.C. I feel the Washington Douche Canoes is fitting.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds