× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

Professional Athletes Strike

27 Aug 2020 09:24 #1 by FredHayek
Players from the NBA and MLB refused to play last night and games were cancelled. NFL players are expected to boycott practice today to fight African American discrimination.

Two teams, the Los Angeles Lakers and Clippers players have voted to boycott the rest of the playoffs in response to a Black man who was shot seven times after reaching for a knife during a confrontation with police.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Aug 2020 12:52 #2 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Professional Athletes Strike
Wait until these dumb "......." ( choose your own name from the expletives of the peaceful protestors ) find out that they are not going to get paid if they shut down their season.

27 Aug 2020 13:16 #3 by ramage
This is a snippet from Paul Mirengoff's column in powerlinblog.com 8/27/20.

"I haven’t watched a minute of the playoffs or the “bubble” games that preceded them. It’s my understanding, though, that the players use these games to promote Black Lives Matter, a radical far left movement.

If the games aren’t played, they cannot be used for propaganda purposes. The players won’t have that platform. Without it, America will tune them out. I think the players will be surprised by how quickly they lose relevance in the absence of the games that brought them to prominence."

Insightful.

27 Aug 2020 16:33 - 27 Aug 2020 16:34 #4 by ramage
How would you react if you were in the O.R. and I walked into the room and said that your surgery is postponed due to my being in solidarity with the NBA? ( I wouldn't take a knee because that would break the sterility of the operating room.)

Please, no expletives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blazer Bob

28 Aug 2020 08:26 #5 by ramage
My thoughts also.

Sean Davis

Say what you will about the NBA, NHL, and MLB, but it was really thoughtful of them to clear the decks tonight so everyone could watch Trump's speech at the RNC instead of sports.

29 Aug 2020 11:03 #6 by FredHayek
Agree about their boycott. The only tool they have is not playing the games. But if they don't play the games, Americans go and do other things. The NBA promises 60% of receipts go to the players. So if they end the playoffs, there will be less money for salaries next year.
Might be a much better idea to have the union take 5% of the player's take home pay to distribute to charities helping out African American communities. That would be a much more positive message.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds