× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

Name/Image/Likeness

04 Jul 2021 10:51 #1 by FredHayek
The NCAA is now allowing college athletes to sell their NIL when they are playing college sports. They are also required to get an agent to help them manage their careers and commercial deals.
Many think this will ruin college sports but I think it might help some athletes. If they can get some endorsements while going to school to help pay the bills, they might actually stay in college longer. Especially if they aren't considered a top professional prospect.

So we could have Fat Tire sponsor a couple of CSU football and basketball players. Might even encourage many of Colorado's best athletes to stay in state instead of leaving for the big teams like Alabama.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jul 2021 12:20 #2 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Name/Image/Likeness
The Devil is in the details:
They are also required to get an agent to help them manage their careers and commercial deals.

Does that mean that the NCAA will have the power to decide who is an agent? Will the NCAA require licensing of said agents?

04 Jul 2021 14:20 #3 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Name/Image/Likeness
Totally agree. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Some are worried that corporations will control the athletes instead of the universities and the NCAA, but they weren't that good to many college students in the past. My university was actually sued by a basketball player because he graduated functionally illiterate! And will the players pick their agents wisely? Might find out their agents have bankrupted them.

06 Jul 2021 20:43 #4 by ramage
Well, the first card is played:
Dan Lambert plans $500-a-month endorsement deal for every Miami Hurricanes football player on scholarship

www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id...l-player-scholarship

07 Jul 2021 10:04 #5 by FredHayek
$500 a month extra would have significantly improved my life in college and that was thirty years ago. I budgeted myself about $80 a month back then. And I like that he supports the whole team instead of just the flashy stars.

12 Jul 2021 18:37 #6 by ramage
Is anyone watching the home run derby or going to watch the MLB All Star game tomorrow?

13 Jul 2021 15:03 #7 by FredHayek

ramage wrote: Is anyone watching the home run derby or going to watch the MLB All Star game tomorrow?

Bucket list time. Saw the Celebrity Softball game, the Homerun Derby, and am going to the All-Star Game tonight. Section 312. Figure this might be the last time I have this opportunity, and I missed the last All-Star game at Coors Field and both World Series contests.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds