Can Eating Too Much Spicy Food Kill You?

19 Oct 2011 19:52 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Can Eating Too Much Spicy Food Kill You? was created by CinnamonGirl
http://i.livescience.com/images/i/21005/i02/chili-peppers-100810-02.jpg?1318620021

In a contest that matches humans against some of the world's hottest chili peppers, no one wins. Last week, restaurant in Edinburgh, Scotland, held a competition to eat the extra-hot Kismot Killer curry. Some of the competitive eaters were left writhing on the floor in agony, vomiting and fainting.

According to reports, two British Red Cross workers overseeing the event at the Kismot Indian restaurant in Edinburgh but became overwhelmed by the number of casualties and ambulances were called. Half of the 20 people who took part in the challenge dropped out after witnessing the first diners vomiting, collapsing, sweating and panting.

http://www.livescience.com/16556-spicy- ... ppers.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Oct 2011 20:53 #2 by otisptoadwater
I love spicy food but there is a limit between spicy and inedible. I think that everyone has their own limit on how hot is too hot but if you ingest something so hot that it makes you barf and pass out learn the lesson from that the first time.

Now let's talk about the location of the story, the Scottish are not well known for their spicy native cuisine. The Indian influence is very strong in the urban centers of the UK but there is hot and then there is really hot food. Add in some liquid courage and a prize and I'm sure plenty of Scots would step up to the challenge and many obviously had bad reactions.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds