Life's Extremes: Tightwads vs. Spendthrifts

23 Oct 2011 17:50 #1 by ScienceChic
Would you classify yourself as a tightwad or a spendthrift, or somewhere in-between?

http://www.livescience.com/16681-tightw ... avior.html
Life's Extremes: Tightwads vs. Spendthrifts
Adam Hadhazy
Date: 23 October 2011

We all have to spend money for necessities, such as groceries or rent. Occasionally, we also indulge on unhealthy treats and entertainment. Two contrary sorts of people, however, struggle to open their wallets even for things they really need – "tightwads" – while others can't stop their shopping sprees – "spendthrifts."

Studies have revealed a possible basis in the brain for why money burns a hole in some peoples' pockets while the mere thought of spending makes others grimace. Understanding why people under- and over-spend can help with ensuring they don't unduly burden themselves – or their bank accounts – when making a purchase.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Oct 2011 19:08 #2 by otisptoadwater
By the standards you have set I'm a tightwad and maybe even a little more restrictive than that with my spending. I rarely pay anyone to do something I can do myself. I use the durable goods I own until they cannot be repaired before I replace them. I live within my means and save and reinvest as much of my income as I can. When an unexpected large expenditure happens I suck it up and stop spending until my income has recovered.

The only time I break from my normal pattern of spending are holidays, birthdays, and special occasions. I budget in regular donations to charity and I donate my time to charitable organizations. I have no children, the Wundermutt is my only dependent so I have an advantage over a lot of people.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds