Why You Can’t Get That Damn Song out of Your Head

18 Nov 2011 20:11 #1 by CinnamonGirl
What are we talking about? Again, back to the academics, specifically, C. Phillip Beaman and Tim I. Williams from the University of Reading, who in a 2010 paper, explain it like this: “Simply, an earworm is the experience of an inability to dislodge a song and prevent it from repeating itself in one’s head.”

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/obs ... your-head/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Nov 2011 21:29 #2 by Hoot Owl
Did you know, when you have a song running rampant in you your brain, if you hold your tongue to the roof of your mouth, the earworm will usually go away

Sorry if that was in the article. You post so many links per day, i dont have the time to read them . Thanks for the synopsis.

18 Nov 2011 21:56 #3 by otisptoadwater
If you are old enough to recall this I'm guilty of setting loose a brain worm (title selected for maximum irony):

[youtube:2sp7hn0w]
[/youtube:2sp7hn0w]

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

19 Nov 2011 01:40 #4 by Rockdoc
Good job Otis. Yes, I remember it well, the tune and just a few of the phrases, you know the ones that refuse to go away. lol

Reading over the article itself, it seems they really don't have a clue as to why these things really happen. They have a nmber of working hypothesis at best.

19 Nov 2011 07:04 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Why You Can’t Get That Damn Song out of Your Head

Hoot Owl wrote: Did you know, when you have a song running rampant in you your brain, if you hold your tongue to the roof of your mouth, the earworm will usually go away

Sorry if that was in the article. You post so many links per day, i dont have the time to read them . Thanks for the synopsis.

I don't always have time to read everything either. I just do alot of internet surfing and post things I think will be interesting for others. Even though some of them are not what I would find interesting. This one was interesting. I never thought that there was a reason that we have a song loop in our head. And I didn't know it was called an ear worm.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds