Computerized Contact Lenses Could Enable Augmented Reality

25 Nov 2011 11:54 #1 by ScienceChic
As long as I could turn it on and off at will, I'd be all over this! :thumbsup: You could use it for walking directions/sightseeing/reading detailed info on landmarks you are looking at in unknown cities, recipes while cooking, surfing the web, ad infinitum!

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/obs ... d-reality/
Computerized Contact Lenses Could Enable In-Eye Augmented Reality
By Larry Greenemeier | November 23, 2011
File Attachment:

From http://iopscience.iop.org/0960-1317/21/12/125014

Now a team of researchers is investigating whether the integration of light-emitting diodes (LEDs), circuitry and antennas into modified contact lenses can transform them into miniature augmented reality displays.

University of Washington associate electrical engineering professor Babak Parviz and his colleagues are starting off modestly. In the Institute of Physics Publishing’s Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering on Tuesday, they report having developed a contact lens that when worn can display a single pixel to the wearer. The ultimate goal is to create a multipixel display that would let the wearer view digital text and images over his or her view of the physical world without so much as batting an eyelash.

“Eventually our plan is to have full-fledged display with reasonable resolution and color that can receive images from an external device and superimpose those images over what you would normally see,” Parviz says.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Nov 2011 12:09 #2 by chickaree
Those are wicked cool!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds