Earliest Human Beds Found in South Africa

10 Dec 2011 07:16 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Earliest Human Beds Found in South Africa was created by CinnamonGirl
"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise," wrote Benjamin Franklin in his Poor Richard's Almanack. That may have held true a couple of hundred years ago, but when it comes to our ancient human ancestors, researchers don't know much about how—or even where—they slept. Now a team working in South Africa claims to have found the earliest known sleeping mats, made of plant material and dated up to 77,000 years ago—50,000 years earlier than previous evidence for human bedding. These early mattresses apparently were even specially prepared to be resistant to mosquitoes and other insects.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2 ... tml?ref=hp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Dec 2011 07:37 #2 by Rockdoc

10 Dec 2011 11:42 #3 by znovkovic
I agree very cool and wonder what other buried treasures we have beneath our feet on our planet?

19 Dec 2011 13:10 #4 by Martin Ent Inc
Tempur Pedic.

19 Dec 2011 14:29 #5 by Grady

CinnamonGirl wrote: "Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise," wrote Benjamin Franklin in his Poor Richard's Almanack. That may have held true a couple of hundred years ago, but when it comes to our ancient human ancestors, researchers don't know much about how—or even where—they slept. Now a team working in South Africa claims to have found the earliest known sleeping mats, made of plant material and dated up to 77,000 years ago—50,000 years earlier than previous evidence for human bedding. These early mattresses apparently were even specially prepared to be resistant to mosquitoes and other insects.

I think I slept on one of those when I first went to college. :lol:

21 Dec 2011 19:01 #6 by Rockdoc

Grady wrote:

CinnamonGirl wrote: "Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise," wrote Benjamin Franklin in his Poor Richard's Almanack. That may have held true a couple of hundred years ago, but when it comes to our ancient human ancestors, researchers don't know much about how—or even where—they slept. Now a team working in South Africa claims to have found the earliest known sleeping mats, made of plant material and dated up to 77,000 years ago—50,000 years earlier than previous evidence for human bedding. These early mattresses apparently were even specially prepared to be resistant to mosquitoes and other insects.

I think I slept on one of those when I first went to college. :lol:

I think I would have liked to have one my first few nights in Saigon. Nearly got carried away by the misquotes before I nearly drown in the downpour.

27 Dec 2011 08:06 #7 by Martin Ent Inc
But but the Myans say people only started in 3000 something BC.
Another myth debunked?

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds