Geologists Find Source of Stonehenge’s Inner Stones

19 Dec 2011 20:37 #1 by ScienceChic
I am fascinated by old ruins. Before I was enthralled by genetics, :wink: I was going to be a geologist or archaeologist. I got to see Stonehenge in person 13 years ago and at that time, the were limiting how close you could walk to the stones because they were shifting due to the sheer number of visitors tromping around. They were gearing up to do some scientific studies and restoration work simultaneously not long after. It's definitely one thing to see a picture and another to see in person (much like the Greek and Egyptian ruins which I have yet to see). Has anyone else been there? Have pictures to share? I'm afraid mine are buried somewhere.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/ ... kclickthru
Geologists Find Source of Stonehenge’s Inner Stones
By Wired UK Email Author
December 19, 2011

By Mark Brown, Wired UK

A team of geologists from Britain have pinpointed the exact quarry that Stonehenge’s innermost circle of rocks came from. It’s the first time that a precise source has been found for any of the stones at the prehistoric monument. They found the culprit on a 65-metre-long outcropping called Craig Rhos-y-Felin, near Pont Saeson in north Pembrokeshire. It lies approximately 160 miles from the Stonehenge site.

The question remains though, as to how neolithic people transported huge chunks of rock from Wales to Wiltshire, some 5,000 years ago.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Dec 2011 21:21 #2 by otisptoadwater
I'm trying really hard not to post a clip from National Lampoon's European Vacation, especially the bit where Clark Grizwald backs his rental car in to one of the pillars and Stonehenge collapses like a line of dominoes.

I have never been to Stonehenge but it's on my bucket list, as a younger man when I was stationed in London and later in Edzell Scotland, I felt it was far more important to enjoy London's nightlife and see Loch Ness.

I have been to Rome and Naples and I recommend than everyone who can goes to see ancient Rome, Pompeii, and Herculaneum. The scale of the monuments and the remains of the cities are truly remarkable and really drive home what the Romans were able to do with very basic tools.

Lacking the engineering skills and tools the Romans had (I don't know that for sure but I haven't read anything that says the builders of Stonehenge had them either) makes the construction of Stonehenge even more remarkable!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

19 Dec 2011 21:55 #3 by ScienceChic

otisptoadwater wrote: I'm trying really hard not to post a clip from National Lampoon's European Vacation, especially the bit where Clark Grizwald backs his rental car in to one of the pillars and Stonehenge collapses like a line of dominoes. Thank you! :biggrin:

I have never been to Stonehenge but it's on my bucket list, as a younger man when I was stationed in London and later in Edzell Scotland, I felt it was far more important to enjoy London's nightlife and see Loch Ness. Also good things to experience! I hear the music scene in London is huge!

I have been to Rome and Naples and I recommend than everyone who can goes to see ancient Rome, Pompeii, and Herculaneum. The scale of the monuments and the remains of the cities are truly remarkable and really drive home what the Romans were able to do with very basic tools. That's on my to-do list yet as well. I have friends that adore Rome/Italy and go every other year...I wish!

Lacking the engineering skills and tools the Romans had (I don't know that for sure but I haven't read anything that says the builders of Stonehenge had them either) makes the construction of Stonehenge even more remarkable! Stonehenge, the pyramids, the Great Wall, the Aqueduct Bridge...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Dec 2011 06:30 #4 by Rockdoc
The distant source of the rocks is certainly an interesting problem. It also begs the questions why is it so important to locate the stones where they are today? It's importance inferred from the difficultly of transport is clear. Of course that assumes the rocks were transported and erected by the people of that day. One can envision a scene out of Ben Hur with the large blocks being pulled by a monstrous chain of humans. Somehow, this just does not make sense as I fail to comprehend the significance of the structure itself. I realize stone positioning aligns with astrophysical motions and positions. Why? What is the benefit? It is easy to simply shunt the question toward religious practices and let that be the answer. The fact so many questions remain and Stonehenge construction remains problematic suggests in my mind that we have not asked the right questions. Perhaps we need to look elsewhere for the architects of Stonehenge?

20 Dec 2011 07:30 #5 by Nobody that matters
I built Stonhenge.

I ordered a time machine off Ebay, and took a Dozer, a drill rig and some blasting supllies back to work with the druids. I also took my laptop with the video of the guy showing how to stack up huge rocks so I could show the locals "this is how we'll do it.

Nice folks, really... They dressed pretty colorfully under the black robes, and they brewed a really mean porter.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

20 Dec 2011 13:32 #6 by Grady

Rockdoc Franz wrote: The distant source of the rocks is certainly an interesting problem. It also begs the questions why is it so important to locate the stones where they are today? It's importance inferred from the difficultly of transport is clear. Of course that assumes the rocks were transported and erected by the people of that day. One can envision a scene out of Ben Hur with the large blocks being pulled by a monstrous chain of humans. Somehow, this just does not make sense as I fail to comprehend the significance of the structure itself. I realize stone positioning aligns with astrophysical motions and positions. Why? What is the benefit? It is easy to simply shunt the question toward religious practices and let that be the answer. The fact so many questions remain and Stonehenge construction remains problematic suggests in my mind that we have not asked the right questions. Perhaps we need to look elsewhere for the architects of Stonehenge?

That location must hold a very special significance to the folks who built Stonehenge. Otherwise if all they needed was a astronomical reference point why not build it near the quarry?

20 Dec 2011 13:46 #7 by Something the Dog Said
It is really interesting how big a role astronomy played with the ancients. For example, near Durango, an important ancestral puebloan (anasazi) archeological site is being researched called Chimney Rock Archaeological Site. It is believed that it was held sacred by the Anasazi and other tribes due to mysticism from the winter solstice appearing at it's northern most point there every 18 years. The area is being considered for National Monument status.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

27 Dec 2011 08:56 #8 by Martin Ent Inc
hey what else did they have to do at night after sex, look up at the stars.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds