Maggots may clean wounds faster than surgery

22 Dec 2011 13:10 #1 by ScienceChic
Next time you seriously wound yourself, ask for maggots! Then don't look! tongue:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-12-f ... rgery.html
French study suggests maggots may clean wounds faster than surgery
December 21, 2011 by Bob Yirka

Image: National Institutes of Health

To accomplish this feat they secrete a substance into the dead tissue that helps to break it down first. When introduced into injured human flesh, the maggots perform the same trick, eating dead flesh while leaving healthy flesh alone, though not necessarily in the same fashion.

This one study suggests that more research needs to be done regarding the use of maggots in healing wounds, because despite the ick factor; people should have access to the best possible treatment. In the United States, for example, despite the fact that the FDA gave approval for use of maggot therapy back in 2004, little testing, research or actual procedures have been carried out and some patients, such as those with diabetes or those that cannot abide anesthesia, have likely suffered for it.

More information: Maggot Therapy for Wound Debridement, Arch Dermatol. Published online December 19, 2011.
doi:10.1001/archdermatol.2011.1895

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Dec 2011 14:21 #2 by MamaRama
You know, years ago I heard that they used maggots on burn victims.. I guess whatever works.. Ugh!!

22 Dec 2011 14:28 #3 by Grady
But what if they lay eggs, and enter your blood stream, won't they eat your brain?
:VeryScared:

yes I know maggots can't lay eggs.

22 Dec 2011 15:54 #4 by pineinthegrass
Maggots? A leech a day keeps the doctor away!

22 Dec 2011 16:30 #5 by MamaRama
They use leeches for Medical conditions too don't they??

27 Dec 2011 08:04 #6 by Martin Ent Inc
Evidently science is Way behind. Early settlers knew about maggots and leeches here in the west.
And it has been used far longer than that.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds